Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US Forces 18000 men Camp Dodge, Iowa

Jonathan D'Hooghe

post-15970-1256657051.jpg

I came across this unusual photo of 18000 US troops at Camp Dodge, Des Moines, Iowa forming a human statue of liberty.

Does anybody have any more information about it or the Col. Wm Newman who was the c.o. according to the caption

Thanks Annie, The depth of knowledge of members of this forum never fails to amaze me. As you say typical America, nevertheless, it's pretty impressive to my eyes!

J

I think the photos are terrific and very creative ... imagine working out how to do it in the first place ?? :rolleyes:

And then getting the guys to move in the right place ... must have been a "nightmare " !!!!!!! :D

Annie

Jonathan

Annie's comment on their love of this reminds me of the visit to SanFran a couple of years ago. We turned the corner at the bottom of Geary Boulevard onto the beach road,and there was a long string of life-sized Red Indians on horseback,practically as far as the eye could see. We stopped,and found them all to be plywood cut-outs. There was a large tent also on the beach,so we go to look there too. Inside a Buffalo Bill clone (alive and breathing)and an old early 1900s picture of the same beach with live Red Indians in a long string. Our man had come along a few days before we came across it in order to re-create this picture,and had taken several months to make all the cut-outs. It looked very effective from the road,if a little crude up close. I have a pic of me up a stepladder poking my head through the face cut-out of one of the natives.

I have an idea that your pic has been here before,but thanks for posting it.

Sotonmate

No prob with the posting of the pic. I was fascinated by it and had not seen anything like it before although Annie's first post opened my eyes to the Americans penchant for such posed events!