Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would it show a previous unit

Martyn Gibson

Below is a MIC of a soldier I believe was a member of the Monmouthshire Regiment prior to him joining the Machine Gun Corps.

I have been given some pictures by a relative that clearly shows a Sgt who was serving with the Monmouthshire Regiment and who clearly has a MGC badge just above his chevrons.

I can't find any MIC for this man when searching under the Monmouthshire Regiment but I did find this when searching with the MGC title. The similarities are too close to be any other man, ie I have a picture of him also as a comissioned officer with some MGC colleagues.

My question is......If he did not serve abroad whilst with the Monmouthshire Regiment would this service not be recorded on his MIC. Is this the reason why I can't find him under the Monmouthshire Regiment.

Any help most gratefully received.

Kind regards

Martyn

post-314-1256599529.jpg

As he didn't apparently go to France until after the Formation of the MGC;{when MGers were transferred from their Regiments to the Corps},I suspect he had transferred to that unit before then{if you check the LG for his Commission it may confirm the Monmouthshire connection}

HarryBetts

Sound advice as always, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards

Martyn

Martyn

According to the MIC he had no overseas service as an Other Rank so his transfer to the MGC would have been in the UK prior to his being commissioned. I doubt the London Gazette will mention the Monmouths as he was already in the MGC when commissioned.

This appears to be his entry in the WO338 Index to Officers' Services Long Number Papers, unfortunately the NA website appears to be down at the moment so I can't translate the entry into a WO339 reference (assuming his file is there of course) but if it is then it may well hold a copy of his original attestation papers.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-1256601688.jpg

Tried the NA website again and it seems to be working now :huh: .

Reference number for his file is:

WO339/73754 EVANS E [1914-1922]

Regards

Steve

Steve a million thanks for the info.

Kind regards

Martyn

"I have been given some pictures by a relative that clearly shows a Sgt who was serving with the Monmouthshire Regiment and who clearly has a MGC badge just above his chevrons."

Is this the 'MG' in the wreath? If so then he's a member of the Monmouth's Machine Gun Section.

Hi Graham,

I have attached the picture to show you. I also have another picture of the same soldier as a Lance Corporal and his MG badge appears on his left sleeve just above the cuff. Can you tell me what this one is for.

Kind regards

Martyn

post-314-1256681577.jpg

post-314-1256681590.jpg