Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Various photos from RE collection as well as some unknown

JCR

Some photos from my Great Grandfather who served with the Royal Engineers. I think they are just post war with the ribbons etc. One photo shows one ribbon, then the other near the vehicles seems to show three. Any ideas? He had only the BWM and Victory medal on his MIC. Any clues what the trucks were used for? I think he was with a signals company. Any ideas of the location? The band if the Band of Engineers. It is a post card and they had been sent to France a week before it was written. The chap marked is who my Great Grandfather was billeted with. Any possibly able to give a date? The other photo of Engineers is a mystery. The chap marked is clearly not my Great Grandfather, but not sure why he has it. Anyone know what it may be of exactly?

The other chaps are my Great Great Uncles. I am not sure on which ones they are as there were four possible brothers. Two were old enough to join in 1914/15. The service stripes could be a help identifying them. I am not sure on the colours though, and guesses? What is the large 'lance corporal' stripe upside down on his left sleeve? Any idea what units they are. I know Artillery and Fusiliers but does anyone know which exactly? I found the contrast of them both before they had seen action, to where they had clearly seen action very interesting. Their faces show it all.

Anyway I hope you find these interesting.

JC

post-50427-1256587012.jpg

Brothers

Brother after/during service

Final pairing. The ones of the engineer band and unit are too big even when shrunk. I will try and put them on photobucket and add a link.

post-50427-1256587746.jpg

post-50427-1256587764.jpg

post-50427-1256587826.jpg

post-50427-1256587939.jpg

The artillery brother (artillery capbadge) has in different photos 1 and then 2 wound stripes on his left lower arm (the single bar)- and also as Good Conduct stripe (inverted large chevron) on lower left arm .. on llower right arm has 1 and later 2 overseas service chevrons (first worn early 1918 I believe) suggesting slightly different dates .. indicating 2 years accumulated wartime field service by end of war .. hence a brother who went to France/overseas 1916 perhaps? .(which may help narrow it down)............. I think one photo also shows him with RA shoulder badge, while the earlier one looks to be RFA? (it looks larger) .. if so indicating the later image with RA is postwar once artillery were reorganisaed and the old RGA/RFA/RHA badges were abandoned .. but not sure about the photo .. perhaps you can see

david

Brothers

Brother after/during service

Final pairing. The ones of the engineer band and unit are too big even when shrunk. I will try and put them on photobucket and add a link.

Other two characters in the bottom two photo's are Royal Fusiliers, but of a very short stature. Lad in the top left photo is also RF.