Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WJ Mortimer or Mortimore KIA 1.4.18

pmaasz

One of the men of the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars killed at Rifle Wood on 1.4.1918 was 2189/ 285381 Pte. William James Mortimer or Mortimore. Different sources list one or other of the spellings. It is very important to us that we know which is correct, for at the moment he is on our Rifle Wood memorial as Mortimer. We have checked his MIC, CWGC records, SDGW records etc and no definite conclusion can be reached. If there is anyone out there who is a relative or who has a source that can confirm 100% which version of his name is correct we in the OY Trust will be very grateful.

pmaasz

Address from SDGW could be checked on the 1911 Census ? What spelling has the head of the household used !

Sotonmate

Thanks sotonmate. My colleagues are in the process of trying that, but there's a lot of W Mortimers around! I don't think we have an address. I'm still hoping for the wizadry of the GWF.

SDGW gives place of birth and residence as Brill, Buckinghamshire. Brill came under the Thame Registration District and the only entry I can find that 'fits' is a birth registration in the September Qtr. of 1894 for a William James MORTIMER.

Name: William James Mortimer

Year of Registration: 1894

Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep

District: Thame

County: Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire

Volume: 3a

Page: 781

Hope this helps.

Steve