Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MG08/15 Bipods

Mark Finneran

Starting off the MG08/15 thread. Could the Moderator change the title to MG08/15 please?

3 types of bipods were used as the 'working' bipod for the MG08/15. Picture attached of the one often called th expedient bipod. I am looking to obtain one of these but I would like to know if anybody is aware of the date of introduction?

Thanks

Mark

08A85.jpg[/url]

Nice image of tubular and traditional framed steel.

Where was that one photoed? I have seen a few in pictures but never one in the flesh. When did the type commonly seen with the anti tank rifle get introduced for the MG 08/15?

Regards

TT

When did the type commonly seen with the anti tank rifle get introduced for the MG 08/15?

I think its possibly the other way round. Hogg has a photo of the Mg 08/15 said to be pre 1918 that is fitted with that type of bi pod. This would suggest it was developed first for the Mg and later adopted for the AT gun.

work015.th.jpg

3 types of bipods were used as the 'working' bipod for the MG08/15. Picture attached of the one often called th expedient bipod. I am looking to obtain one of these but I would like to know if anybody is aware of the date of introduction?

Thanks

Mark

Don't know if any of these could be of any use [Caveat emptor]

http://www.mg0815.com/0815parts.htm

Most pics I have seen of the MG 08/15 have the squarer bipod and not the tubular one with spikes that I tend to associate with the anti tank gun?

TT

bipod.th.jpg

Mauser AT rifle bipod.

I have seen around 7 'expedient' bipods in private collections so hard to find..but not rare. Photo is from a French museum I think.

It was explained to me that first pattern bipod is the 'square' standard type. Then came the expedient as a stop gap whilst production for MG bipods stopped, and then all 08/15s were then issued with the same mauser AT rifle bipod.

The traditional tubular AT bipod was cheaper to make so with German war industry under pressure why make 2?

The first pattern is better quality but photos show AT rifles sometimes with the 'square' bipod and similarly 08/15s with the tubular bipod in 1917.

Again unless someone has the Imperial LoC tucked away I am working on the principle:

Up to 1917 (and usage beyond) standard bipod.

Expedient only seen from 1917 onwards.

Use of tubular bipod for 08/15 1917 onwards.

Any photographic evidence to change general assumption most welcome!

VMT

Mark

10141976.th.jpg

32227988.th.jpg

Images of 'square' standard MG08/15 bipod. Incidentally I have seen an original one of these added to by either user of field armourer in that extra plate was welded to it for additional firer protection. Sadly I did not get the chance to photo it, but it did add considerable weight so must have been intended for static use.

I've see a photo of one with an armoured shield - I'll see if I can find it. If the tubular bipod was fitted to Mg 08/15s in 1917 then this bipod was not specifically designed for the AT weapon which did not appear until 1918

Mark,

Are all three yours?

Incidently my MG08/15 made by DWM in 1918 has the squared bipod.

DWM only made approx 2,500 08/15s so quite a rare gun. Mostly they concentrated on the )* itself.

Regards

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Centurion - any luck with this image please? I cannot sleep...................................

Mark

I've see a photo of one with an armoured shield - I'll see if I can find it. If the tubular bipod was fitted to Mg 08/15s in 1917 then this bipod was not specifically designed for the AT weapon which did not appear until 1918

• 3 years later...

A very untidy MG08/15 posn - put that man on a charge!mus22001_zps418ff740.jpg

• 10 months later...

I will re-energise this thread on MG08/15 and not just bipods. Can the moderator change the title please to just MG08/15? Thanks.

capt12_zpsc98bcf77.jpg[/url]

[/url]">DSC08984_zps1dc1f5fa.jpg[/url]

Having mentioned not just bipods, these two relics show well the later 'expedient' pattern 08/15 bipod. Thereare 3 most common patterns but the black and white photo above shows a '4th' type which is probably just an armourer modification/battlefield repair.

DSC08986_zps5047cd5a.jpg[/url]

Because my relics are usually incomplete, and 'all shades' of rust I rebuild with other relic parts, halt rusting and then paint with outside metal paint. Not to everybody's taste but as relics I am happy that they are actually preserved,

Mark

Nice items.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

[/url]">Bunker.jpg[/url]

Expedient pattern.Also shows the water can as discussed in other thread.

Mark

[/url]">08A95.jpg[/url]

Another 'expedient' but strangely in the reverse position.

• 1 month later...

A recent e bay aquisition.......

TT

post-15846-0-81044400-1398948160_thumb.j

• 5 months later...