Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Service numbers

shutt

Does anyone know whether batches of numbers were allocated to the RGA when the Territorials were re-numbered as with the infantry units. I`m trying to find which unit my Great Uncle was with. All I know about him is that he was in the RGA and his number from his medals and index card. Any help much appreciated. He was Bombardier Christopher H. Shuttleworth, 104655, was originally from Pateley Bridge in Yorkshire but moved to Middlesbrough just before the war. Any help much appreciated.

I was under the impression that the RGA was renumbered from 275000. My g/father SR number was 3394 and his new one 278394. Apart from that

I can't help

David

Only the TF and Special Reserves were renumbered. 104655 is from the regular series and would indicate someone being mobilised to No.4 Depot, Gt. Yarmouth, around the 20th July 1916 (give or take a fews days). There are quite a few batteries that he may have been sent to on formation., but as Zippy72 has said the first place to look is the medal rolls. Unfortunately it is usual to see just "base details" for unit, but if you are lucky it may have the battery he served with.

Kevin

Thanks guys. I will have to try to get a copy of the medal roll, I have his medal index card with the roll references on. Seem to think another forum member had a look but could`nt find any unit references, but can`t remember for sure. Must be old age creeping up on me !. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.