Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify uniform

Guest Whiteknight

Guest Whiteknight

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me to identify this uniform, I know nothing about when the photo was taken but have been told that it would have been World War 1. If anyone can identify the uniform or possible regiment and rank of the man on the horse?

soldier1.jpg

Thanks,

Lee

Looks to be a cavalry. And a Lancer regiment. Great war period. No rank I can see so just a lancer or trooper, not sure what would be the correct term. Try to post a close up picture of the cap badge for us to pin down the regiment. Cheers, Paul.

Guest Whiteknight

Thanks Wardog - I have rescanned the photo and looked at enlarging the cap badge, not had a great deal of success in making it any clearer but maybe someone can help to identify it?

scan0016.jpg

I was also wondering what could be on the shoulder - would that be any use in trying to identify the regiment?

Thanks

Yes, the shoulder title might help. Try and edit your post title to include cavalry or lancer, might then attract someone 'in the know.' Good luck, Paul.

Well, it says T (over) Y (over) Something.... - so that makes him a member of a Yeomanry regiment, and one that was Lancer-based as opposed to what my old unit, the Staffordshire Yeomanry (Squadron of the Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry) was - Hussar based.

Could it be the Montgomeryshire Yeomanry (on the right of the pic here), but minus the 'I' in the scroll (which stands for Imperial) ?

http://www.glamorganantiques.co.uk/cb3_67.jpg

I am interested to see the length of this mans stirrup. I always thought that British cav. rode with a short stirrup as opposed to the Boer cav. who rode with a long stirrup as shown here.

Any comments?