Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'X'- flight 14 Squadron RFC/RAF

domsim

Does anybody know the whereabouts of the aerial reconnaissance photos taken by X flight, 14 squadron RFC/RAF in Palestine 1917-1918? The reports are in the PRO but there are no copies of photos and the Imperial War Museum says they have not got them.

Any info. gratefully received.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Try the Royal Air Force Museum, Photographic Section, Graham Park Way, Hendon, London, NW9 5LL if writing, or telephone 020 8205 2266, and ask for the Photographic Section, they might well be able to help you, let`s hope so.

David.

I'd phone, they'll take forever to answer a letter or an e-mail. If you get through, they feel obliged to deal with your query!!!!

Mike

Guest stevenbec

There were three planes from the 1st Sqn AFC attached to X Flight.

Purhaps the AWM has some of these photos.

If you get on the their webb sight they have many of the photos on line and you can check them out.

Good luck

S.B

• 14 years later...

I'm interested in any written material  or photographs from or about members of X Flight set up in the desert to support the activities of Lawrence of Arabia.

3 hours ago, Andastre said:

I'm interested in any written material  or photographs from or about members of X Flight set up in the desert to support the activities of Lawrence of Arabia.

Hi

You may get at least some of the information you require from the Cross & Cockade publication 'Lawrence of Arabia & Middle East Air Power' (2016).  It is still available via the Cross & Cockade International website.  It has a chapter 'The 'X' Factor' that covers 'X' Flight but other chapters may contain some relevant information.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I didn't find any central collection of X flight material-I think there are war diaries in Kew  and there is good photographic and written material in the collection of VD Siddons who was in X-flight (collection in the Imperial War Museum archives). The Australian air units were over parts of the area from 1917-18 and they can be seen/downloaded with their recce reports, combat in the air reports and war diairies on the excellent Australian War Memorial website.

There were some earlier cross & cockade articles:

'The X factor: Special duty flight- 14 squaron RFC' by Peter Wright Cross & Cockade International autumn 2012 vol 43/3:175-182

Roger Bragger has a good website  with a web version of Peter's earlier Cross & Cockade article on C flights earlier activities:

http://www.rogersstudy.co.uk/hejaz/hejaz.html

This book appeared a few years ago:-I have not read it as I have moved on to other interests

'Lawrence of Arabia's Secret Air Force: Based on the Diary of Flight Sergeant' George Hynes 2010

by James Patrick Hynes (Author)

I like the way it is painted as a 'secret' (because everything to do with Lawrence has to be mysterious!) airforce these days, when it was just a standard detachment that just happened to be designated x flight-it was originally c flight as you can see in Peter's earlier article.

hope this helps

all the best

Dom. 

Edited by domsim