Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Formation of the Royal Air Force

Roger Thompson

{D9377643-7CA9-408F-8D9B-758148AFF221}.j

This is my great uncle Harry Albert Cody and it looks like he was in the R.A.F in the very early days, I base that on he is badged up for the R.A.F but wearing Infantry uniform jacket, and also am I right in thinking the white band around the cap donates a cadet, or cadet officer.

He was born in 1900 so this photo would date him about 18, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, and where do we search for service records for airmen.

Thanking you all in advance,

Cheers Roger.

Hello Roger,

I think you are basically right in your assumptions. The badge he wears looks to me to be the officer pattern and I would agree entirely that the white hat band is that of an officer cadet/flight cadet.

If I have found the right man, he was born in the registration district of South Stoneham which is the same as the Royal Victoria Military Hospital near Southampton. There was also another Albert Cody born in 1920 in Dewsbury.

I'm still looking for his commissioning notice in London Gazette.

I hope you're well?

Cheers,

Nigel

Na then sither ere,

Thats the chap South Stoneham, good luck with the gazette if you know what I mean. I'll have a look at that other Cody as mine moved from Eastleigh up into Dewsbury just before 1914.

Cheers Roger.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Oct 24 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn`t it be unusual to wear an officer`s capbadge while still a cadet?

Dunno but RAF cadets did wear a cap band.

The standard Army jacket isn't that surprising - what with the RFC being part of the Army, especially when overseas men got what was available. Sames goes for stiff/soft caps etc instead of the side cap

If he became an officer his RAF service record is probably in AIR 76/95, unless he continued serving after the war.

This is my great uncle Harry Albert Cody and it looks like he was in the R.A.F in the very early days, I base that on he is badged up for the R.A.F but wearing Infantry uniform jacket, and also am I right in thinking the white band around the cap donates a cadet, or cadet officer.

He was born in 1900 so this photo would date him about 18, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, and where do we search for service records for airmen.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger, the cap badge is the one now being used for Warrant Officers, the laurel leaves touch the wings of the eagle in this pattern on Officer pattern there is a gap, and yes Officer Cadets wear a white band around the hat removed after passing out.

Regards Peter

Is there any record of him actually serving for any length of time in the RAF, can't find him in LG's.

Mick

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger,

I've just seen the same photghraph on Ancestry "Cody Family Tree"?

Regards Peter

Hi there Peter,

Yes Harry's daughter sent me the photo and I also sent it on to the Cody family that had not seen it, and I asked permission to post it on here.

Hi there Mick

The simple answer is nobody knows at this moment in time.

Cheers Roger.