Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Survivors from HMS India

tootrock

His papers should be available from the National Archives. Do you have his service number or date of birth?

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all who still lurk around this chat!  My name is Rebecca Clarke and I am the granddaughter-in-law of R.A Clarke, ERA on HMS India.  I am in the process of gathering information on the ship and the internment of some of the surviving crew in the hope of writing a book about it.  My grandfather-in-law was a prolific letter writer and his sisters were, luckily, the hoarding type and many of his letters from his time in internment survive.  Some are still being sold on the open market.  If any one has any information that they are happy to share, I would love to hear from you.  My email address is rebecca@theclarkes.biz.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Good morning.  I posted a few months ago regarding a book I was planning to write and I’m happy to say that being in lockdown as meant that I’ve been able to really move forward with this and am close to completing my first draft.  The book is centred around the letters sent by my grandfather-in-law but I am keen to include memories or stories of other crew from HMS India from their time in camp or what happened to them after the war.  If you would like anything about your relatives in the book or have anything to contribute, please reply to this thread or email me on rebecca@theclarkes.biz.  I am really hoping to hear from some of you ( if not all of you!). Rebecca 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2012 at 15:10, Guest hbw said:

My grandfather, Able Seaman George Ward,served on HMS India and was subsequently interned in Norway. Like some other internees, he was allowed to return home (to attend a family funeral), but was honour-bound to return to captivity.

Hi.  I am attempting to reach relatives of survivors to see if they would like to put anything about their family member into a book I am writing.  Please contact me if you are interested!  rebecca@theclarkes.biz

On 19/02/2013 at 19:24, Guest RGA said:

John Roland Anderson, (my grandfather) was another of the fortunate ones to make it to a boat. At first he was posted as "missing presumed drowned". For an account of the sinking see "The War at Sea" by Julian Thompson published by Imperial War Museum. However, the account here omits the internment of the salilors by the Norwegians and I have corresponded with the author who agreed to ammend subsequent editions.

There used to be the HMS India site on the web but this seems to be no longer on line?

My grandfather described internment as pretty ghastly - men were set to piece work; the camp guards were not friendly and several sailors went mad. My grandfather was granted leave to return to England December 1917 and he married his fiance by special licence on New Years Day 1918 before he returned to Norway till the end of the war.

On 19/02/2013 at 19:24, Guest RGA said:

John Roland Anderson, (my grandfather) was another of the fortunate ones to make it to a boat. At first he was posted as "missing presumed drowned". For an account of the sinking see "The War at Sea" by Julian Thompson published by Imperial War Museum. However, the account here omits the internment of the salilors by the Norwegians and I have corresponded with the author who agreed to ammend subsequent editions.

There used to be the HMS India site on the web but this seems to be no longer on line?

My grandfather described internment as pretty ghastly - men were set to piece work; the camp guards were not friendly and several sailors went mad. My grandfather was granted leave to return to England December 1917 and he married his fiance by special licence on New Years Day 1918 before he returned to Norway till the end of the war.

Hi,  I am attempting to get in contact with relatives of men who were interned in Norway.  I am writing a book and interested to include stories from some of the men.  Please Contact me if you are interested,  rebecca@theclarkes.biz

On 10/05/2016 at 18:35, midsm said:

I have recently received my Grandfather's (William Gardiner) service medals; Victory Medal, Service Medal and 1914-15 Star, as I said previously, he was a survivor of the sinking and was a Prisoner of War in Norway.

Is there a source to get background information as to when he joined up, what records his service number may be connected to, etc? (I'm trying to get as much info as possible on his time before the sinking)

Ian

On 10/05/2016 at 18:35, midsm said:

I have recently received my Grandfather's (William Gardiner) service medals; Victory Medal, Service Medal and 1914-15 Star, as I said previously, he was a survivor of the sinking and was a Prisoner of War in Norway.

Is there a source to get background information as to when he joined up, what records his service number may be connected to, etc? (I'm trying to get as much info as possible on his time before the sinking)

Ian

Hi,  I am attempting to get in contact with relatives of men who were interned in Norway.  I am writing a book and interested to include stories from some of the men.  Please Contact me if you are interested,  rebecca@theclarkes.biz

On 29/05/2016 at 21:18, midsm said:

Thanks Martin.

On-line I was able to get some info which has helped.

Thank you.

Hii.  I am attempting to reach relatives of survivors of HMS India to see if they would like to put anything about their family member into a book I am writing.  You seem to have some on your grandfather Wiilam Gardiner Please contact me if you are interested!  rebecca@theclarkes.biz

• 4 months later...

Hello any one who is still reading this thread!   I am very close to finishing my book about HMS India and the men who were onboard her, especially my grandfather, R.A Clarke.  I am putting out a final call for information or connections with anyone who may be a descendant of one of the men who served on HMS India.  Please reply to this thread or email on rebecca@theclarkes.biz - I would love to hear from you