The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hampshire Regiment

Luzzu

Hi,

:)

I have been researching my 2 x gt uncle, James Henry Buck (1892-1916), who according to CWGC served with the 3854, 1st/4th Bn., Hampshire Regiment. He died on 13 July 1916 in India and is remembered with honour at Delhi Memorial (India Gate).

He was born in Gilbraltar (his parents were Tom Buck and Harriet Dicks) and enlisted in Winchester.

I have been told that because it doesn't say he was killed in action or died of wounds, it is most likely that he died of sickness or disease.

According to his medal card he was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. He did not receive either the Star Medal or the TF (War) Medal.

I have been advised by fellow researchers on a genealogy forum to ask on this board when 3854 was issued as him not receiving the TF (War) Medal suggests he did not enlist until after 30 Sept 1914.

In addition, it anyone can help me any more information about James Henry Buck this would be gratefully received. I am very new to military research so am still finding my way so any pointers would be welcome.

Thank you,

Luzzu

Luzzu

He served with this Battalion in Mesopotamia at that time. SDGW says simply that he died,no reason given. He is only commemorated on the Bombay Memorial,but the CWGC website says he is buried in Karachi Cemetery.

There were many casualties due to sickness apart from the war activity. As he is not shown as Died of Wounds it is likely he died of sickness at Karachi.

Sotonmate

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your help.

According to his medal card he was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. He did not receive either the Star Medal or the TF (War) Medal.

I have been advised by fellow researchers on a genealogy forum to ask on this board when 3854 was issued as him not receiving the TF (War) Medal suggests he did not enlist until after 30 Sept 1914.

Do you know anything about this please?

Luzzu

Luzzu

You have his Medal Card. Is there a date into theatre shown (bottom left of card)?

If not he didn't enter a war theatre until after 31.12.1915.

You could also read this page from the Long Long Trail (LLT),at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm

There is a member here,Marc Thompson who has a database on the Hants R. As you have not reached 10 posts yet and can't use the PM system here I will ask him to see if he can help with the issue of the number 3854.

Sotonmate

On his medal card the boxes for "theatre of war first served in" and "date of entry therein" are empty.

On his record on the Ancestry website for "Theatre of War" it says British Expeditionary Force which I have been told indicates France and Flanders???

Thank you for asking Marc Thompson to have a look at his database and thank you for your reply. I am a newbie to all things military - I think you can tell.

:rolleyes:

Luzzu

The 1/4th, along with the other Territorial battalions of the Hampshire regiment, went to India in late 1914, to relieve Regular troops coming back to Europe.

Interestingly, the 1/4th went to Mesopotamia, arriving in Basra on 18th March, 1915.

I have no idea, but as your man died of sickness (presumably) in Karachi in 1916, I wonder if he'd transferred to the 2/4th, who were in Quetta at the time. The 1/4th were involved in some heavy fighting through to Persia in 1918.

The 4th Hampshires were Winchester battalion, so it makes sense to have been with them; can't help with numbers, I'm afraid, but it seems a high-ish one, so I'd guess a wartime volunteer, rather than a pre-war one.

As sotonmate says, Marc Thompson's your man.

Luzzu,

3854 Pte Buck enlisted at Winchester in June 1915, and most likely came out to India with a draft from 3/4th Hants in October 1915.

The Winchester War Service Register confirms his address as 17, Andover Road, Winchester and indicates that he "Died of Enteric" at Quetta, which is slightly at odds with his CWGC entry which states that he is buried in Karachi Cemetery.

The BW & VM roll entry for Pte Buck shows that he first entered a theatre of war [Mesopotamia] with 2/4th Hants [draft to 1/4th Hants]. This would have been sometime after 31/12/15 and prior to his death, as sotonmate has already indicated. During their stay at Quetta from 1915 - 1917, over 700 men were sent as drafts from 2/4th Hants to 1/4th Hants in Mespot.

In the absence of a service record for Pte Buck it is not possible to state with any certainty the exact chain of events for him or even give a date for when he proceeded to Mespot. He was most likely invalided back to India with other wounded / ill from 1/4th Hants.

It would be worth checking the local papers of the time for Winchester as they may provide an obituary for him.

Marc

Thank you, Marc, for posting that information and I will check the local papers for his obituary.

Thank you also to Sotonmate and Steven for your contributions too.

Appreciate your help.

Luzzu