Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 Whistle

PhilB

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Oct 22 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is new to me. I don`t recall seeing a 1916 dated, ordnance marked whistle without maker`s name. The style of marking seems untypical too. Any views?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This trader has gone by many names in the past. I have dealt with them once. I wouldn't do it again. I think that says enough ;) .

The whistle itself would have been interesting without the markings - its a very unusual type with a large mouthpeice rim which are normally only seen on ARP whistles.

Mick

You`ve confirmed my suspicions, gents. ;)

For the benefit of the uninitiated, here`s a photo of a genuine 1915 ordnance marked whistle. The mark may also appear on the ring or the strap. I haven`t seen a British (as oppposed to Indian or Colonial) 1916 whistle with the mark on the body.

post-2329-1256289299.jpg

I doubt you'd find many knowledgable collectors wanting to buy anything from that seller.

A surprising number. Certainly officers but ORs too. We`ve had examples on forum of privates carrying them. I would have guessed that most sergeants would carry one.

Tought so. I'm research a relativr fro a photo I have. He's a Serjeant in the KOYLE. On his left breast pocket is a watch chain, on the right pocke what looks like a lanyard going into his pocket fastned to his button. I think I have the whistle in front of my now!

Thanks for you help

This was a trader who was selling a Lincoln tribute medal to a VC winner KIA (despite the fact that they were only given to survivors!!!!)

• 1 year later...