Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.)

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I recently found out my grandfather's brother, Willi Stern, was awarded the O.B.E., and after some searching have had no luck finding any comprehensive list of recipients nor a way to determine when or why he received such an honor. One suggestion in another forum suggested looking through the London Gazette online but either he is not listed in there or I am doing the search wrong (either may indeed be true). Here's my only source of info about this award: its mention the obituary of his sister Else Segall (nee Stern) who passed away in the 1970s:

post-32240-1256213487.jpg

I know nothing else about Willi, so if this is insufficient information I may not be able to make much more headway until I do. Would O.B.E. recipients living in Cardiff, Wales be listed in the London Gazette? Or would they be listed somewhere else?

Thanks,

-Daniel

Yes the Welsh are included in the London Gazette. Try searching for varaiations of W., Willi, William, Stern do you have an approx date?

There are far too many recipients for someone to publish a comprehensive list. He would have been listed in the London Gazette, but a reason may not have been given. He could have been awarded it for Civil or Military recognition.

Yes the Welsh are included in the London Gazette. Try searching for varaiations of W., Willi, William, Stern do you have an approx date?

Hi,

I haven't the faintest. I only know it was awarded prior to 25 Jan 1979, which is when the mention appeared in the obit. Will dig around now and see what turns up.

-Daniel

A William Joe Stern, Principal Scientific Officer, Ministry of Defence was awarded an OBE LG 15 June 1957

Hi RMD,

Not at all sure that is him, but who knows? I am trying to figure out when get got to Cardiff from Germany and when he left, as that will narrow down the range. Perhaps a dumb question, but were German born men let into the Ministry of Defense that soon after WWII?

The problem I have been having is that I get no results using Willi Stern or W. Stern, the William Sterns are a maybe and if you just use Stern O.B.E. you get the award for every sailor whose ship was either hit in or sank by the 'Stern'. :)

Back to the search...

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...
It's unlikely to be the MoD PSO guy as he died in 1965; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Joseph_Stern

and the newspaper ref does not say the 'late' Willi Stern OBE

Hi all,

I am having zero luck finding Willi via this route...is there some place, i.e., government office in the UK, that I can write for this information? I googled around but found no clear direction as to who I might try and contact regarding my request.

Thanks,

-Daniel

You could try the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, which is based in St James' Palace, London SW1 and is an office of the Royal Household rather than a government department per se.. They may not be able to help as you are not a direct descendant. Finding the London Gazette reference will only give you a date (likely to be the New Year or Birthday [June] Honours List in this case), as it is only the higher grades which indicate what the award was for.

He should be in the London Gazette but it can be tricky to search. Be prepared to broaden your search terms; he may not have been listed in the Gazette as 'Willi'.

You could try the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, which is based in St James' Palace, London SW1 and is an office of the Royal Household rather than a government department per se.. They may not be able to help as you are not a direct descendant. Finding the London Gazette reference will only give you a date (likely to be the New Year or Birthday [June] Honours List in this case), as it is only the higher grades which indicate what the award was for.

He should be in the London Gazette but it can be tricky to search. Be prepared to broaden your search terms; he may not have been listed in the Gazette as 'Willi'.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions...I will see what I can find via both routes. I have been trying various versions of Willi (will, william, wilhelm, willy, w., etc.) with zero luck, and just looking for Stern and Order of the British Empire does not find him, either. Argh.

-Daniel

I think the official chapel for the Order is at Westminster Abbey, possibly they have a roll othose who have been so honoured, or even a data base these days.

Are you including 'Order' of the British Empire in your search? The 'O' of OBE is for Officer. one of the 4 ranks of the Order of the Britsih Empire. Knigth (KBE), Commander (CBE), Officer (OBE), and Member (MBE).

Peter

Peter is correct. The O in OBE doesn't stand for Order, although it is is a common mistake.

Wikipedia gives a reasonable account of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire and its four classes of which the OBE (Officer) is one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

Cheers

Chris

Hi Peter and Chris,

Yes indeed, I was using Order. That may have been part of the problem. Let me look again using Officer and see what turns up. Thanks for the info!

-Daniel

one of the 4 ranks of the Order of the Britsih Empire. Knigth (KBE), Commander (CBE), Officer (OBE), and Member (MBE).

The fifth rank is Knight [or Dame] Grand Cross (GBE).

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to give up on this avenue of research. It is quite like looking for a needle in a haystack. Perhaps I will have better luck finding his obituary and perhaps obtain some info via that route. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and assistance thus far.

-Daniel

Wouldn't you know, 30 seconds after I throw in the towel, and I just Google "Willi Stern" and Wales, I find it!

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/474...nts/17/page.pdf

He's in the right column, second from the top. So, he actually became a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1977, a far cry from the Great War, but a learning experience nonetheless. My sincere thanks to everyone.

-Daniel

• 3 years later...

There are some very old(for the area) buildings on treforest estate. Do you want me to look about and see if anything worth taking a photo of?

What a wonderful offer! I would be most appreciative of that if you go. I found an old photo of the building from the 1970s, here:

http://archive.rhondda-cynon-taf.gov.uk/treorchy/index.php?a=subjects&s=item&key=SYToyOntpOjA7aTo3NztpOjE7czo4OiJJbmR1c3RyeSI7fQ==&pg=466

And an address which may or may not correlate with this building:

Pearl Paints Ltd., Severn Road, Treforest Industrial Estate, Pontypridd, Mid Glamorgan, CF37 5SR

I have no idea what, if anything, is there today, but it would be cool if it's still there.

Thanks again,

Daniel