Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank 10509

Roger34

I recently found a group photograph at my mothers house of her Grandfather standing with a tank at the Metropolitan Camel works in Birmingham. He had worked there prior to WW1 on railway carrages and I presume during the war whem production changed to tanks.

Can anyone tell me what happened to tank 10509 or would this number have been changed when it went into active service?

Roger

Roger,

Sidearm is your man on this one. He may be able to tell you the fate of the tank. The production number you have quoted would have remained with the machine once dispatched to the Tank Corps.

Any chance of you posting a scan of the photo?

Tanks3

This tank was a Male Mark V** ( a very early one). This model was too late to see active service all but one being built in 1919. Total production 20 male 5 female. Many were used in experiments to develop the first AVREs

And this was one of the ones used as an engineer's tank. There's a photo of it in Chamberlain & Ellis' "A Pictorial History of Tanks of the World 1915-45" (photo 25). In it the tank is carrying a bridge so I suspect it served at the RE Bridging Establishment at Christchurch, but if anyone could confirm or deny my suspicion that would be helpful.

Looking forward to seeing the photo. The one in the book referred to is so small I've had to put my glasses on, and factory shots are always fascinating.

Roger34, I'd be very interested in hearing any more you might know about your grandfather's time at Metropolitan, or about tank production there. I presume that the factory you refer to was at Saltley?

Gwyn

Sidearm,

Your post jolted my memory. I have a rather large photo of this machine in the process of laying its bridge. Not sure if I can get a scan of it but will see waht I can do

Tanks3

Thanks for all the info, I will try to get the scan done today and ask my mother for any other information about her grandfather.

Rogeer

• 4 weeks later...

Nice photo. The bridge was specifically designed to facilitate tanks crossing as it was able to fit nicely between the tracks with the outer flanges allowing the tracks to drive along. Impossible for even the most incompetent driver to drive his tank off that bridge. There was also what looked like a prototype Bailey that ran on rollers and which could be pushed across a gap by a Mk V**. This could bridge a wider gap and take infantry and light vehicles but not tanks.

Photo of the big bridge (not on rollers but Whippet tracks). The tank bridge is alongside and the MvV** in the background.

post-9885-1259430092.jpg