Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP - British Uniform Identification

212ga

Hi, can anyone help in identifying the uniform in the attached photo? I've been told that he was an airplane gunner in WWI. Although the uniform has an anchor on the cuff and what looks like an anchor on the cap.

post-50446-1256130006.jpg

My guess -Boys Brigade. Looks to be a civilian suit with added insignia. Cheers, Paul.(adult staff)- Perhaps just before enlistment or in the 1920's? You may be able to search images online for pictures and pin down if adults used that style of cap. Also you might be able to blow up the insignia on the cross belt and see a 'BB' though an anchor is a BB used badge.

Agree with Wardog - Boys Brigade possibly late 1920's or 1930's

Thanks for the help. It certainly makes sense. So this is more of a boy scouting outfit not a uniform of any branch of the British armed services?

This is supposedly a photo of my great-uncle who was from Ayrshire, Scotland. At the start of WWI in 1914 he would have been 22 years of age. I've been told that he was a gunner in WWI who went down in an airplane. I would be correct in assuming that the Boys Brigade was not part of the British service and this particular photo is definitely not a of my great-uncle in military uniform.

If he was killed when his aircraft went down, he should be listed on this site- http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

If not killed, or to try to get further info, post as much information as you have in 'The War in the Air' section of the forum. The term for a non pilot in an aircraft was observer in The Great War. The BBs were in existance before the boy scouts, and still are today. They were not part of the Armed Forces.