Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lieut Harris Young Johnson (6th Liverpool Regiment)

nthornton1979

Hello all,

A long shot I know but does anyone have or know the wherabouts of a photo of this Officer ?

He was a Pte in the 5th Battalion before his commision into the 6th in Jan 1916. Won the MC during a raid at Ypres in July 1917 and was also wounded in the action. (and later discharged due to his wounds)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Neil

D, Thankyou very much for checking.

It's sources like this (which are unknown to me) that I was hoping for.

I've checked several of the War Illustrated series aswell as the war photo site which was recently posted as a reply to a similiar request. (which has photos and obituaries etc)

Thanks again D. It's much appreciated :)

Neil

Thanks Izzy,

He was born and lived in West Derby before moving to Bootle.

I Googled Liverpool libraries and found one in Bootle but haven't been able to speak to anyone there as yet. This was last week but I haven't had chance to ring again this week. (I work 12 hour shifts and have had no phone available during the day :angry2: )

Neil

The Bootle Times newspaper for the Great War dates can be found in Crosby Library. Somebody has catalouged the papers. If you phone them up and give them his name they usually check their index there and then saves you a long journey.

Thanks again for the tip off Izzy. I've contacted the library but unfortunately there was nothing listd for him. They recommend I trawl through the microfilm... I feel a visit to Liverpool comng on.

Cheers

Neil

• 1 month later...

Neil,

From experience with Widnes library, not many of the staff know where to look, there are several indexes to the Widnes Weekly News compiled by a lady from the Widnes Historical Society which are extremely useful. one of them is gallantry awards and cross referenced to the column, page and date of the edition that they are in.

Regards

Harry

Thanks again for the tip off Izzy. I've contacted the library but unfortunately there was nothing listd for him. They recommend I trawl through the microfilm... I feel a visit to Liverpool comng on.

Cheers

Neil