Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information from uniform or other items

aksillitoe

Can anyone infer any information from the uniform or other items worn by the man on the left as you look at this photo? I was told that he was English but served in the Canadian armed forces in France during WW1 and this photo must be from that period. However, someone suggested that these uniforms are British rather than Canadian. If so, would that in fact exclude him from being in the Canadian Expeditionary Force? I would assume that he was a corporal at the time the photo was taken?

Any information would be helpful as I am trying to identify him, but have very little to go on apart from his name, Walter Payne.

(I'm sorry I have so little information : I'm hoping to get a better scan, but this is all I have for the moment.)

Many thanks,

Alan

And from the angle two of them seem to have the Distinguished Conduct Medal

Alun. There are 9 Payne's on the Canadian Attestation site. 7 of the 9 are from England. There is 1 Walter the other 6 have double names. Torquay,Bristol,2 from London,Kidderminster,Northamton and Thame Oxford.

Aye Rob.

I'd have thought on the balance of probabilities, he's not in the Canadian forces. he's not wearing a collar dog (none of them are), which Canadian o.r.s wore, nor are any of them displaying the large Canadian "Battle Patch" worn on the sleeves to identify division, brigade, etc.

Of course, they might just not be wearing them, but I'd say I'd be surprised if at least one of the three weren't displaying some item which identifies their Canadianness.

Shoulder titles are visible which if we could have a better look at may shed some useful clues. Tom's right with the breeches and like Steven I somewhat doubt their Canadianness. The Cpl with the Marksman badge appears to have some insignia above the stripes on his right arm,

Jon

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I have studied the various Englishmen with the name W. Payne (Pane, Pain, etc.) who served in the Canadian forces through both the Canadian and CWGC websites, but have yet to come up with a candidate that really fits. The best one was W. H. G. Payne, but he turns out to be William not Walter. I've just received some higher resolution scans of the photo which I've put in this Picasa album in case it helps to identify something in the photo.

Thank you once again. I'm afraid my knowledge of military uniforms and the like is zero, so please don't hesitate to comment on what might seem to be obvious.

Alan

Thank you once again for your replies. Steven and Jon's inference that they are not Canadian ties in with what someone suggested on a genealogy forum. Staffsyeoman suggests that two of them have the DCM : does that include Walter Payne (on the left as you look at the photo)? The apparent medal is just a blur to me and, anyway, I wouldn't know what to look for. If he does have the DCM, that would obviously help to identify him.

The dating of the photo by Grumpy is also consistent with previous remarks. Jon mentions the Cpl with the Marksman badge : is that the crossed rifles on the sleeve of the one on the right?

If you select the third photo from the right (the full photo at 1200 dpi) and click on the magnifying glass at the top right and then click on the photo to move it around, it is possible to see a small inverted triangle at the top of the sleeve of the man on the right. Someone suggested to me that this indicates he is with the 18th division. Does anyone agree/disagree with that?

Many thanks,

Alan