Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry look ups

SANDY_LEISHMAN

Hello Sandy

I have been researching my Great Grandfather, who was with the 9th Btn Glasgow Highlanders. He was killed sometime in May 1917, the CWGC details him as having died on May 11th, the war diaries say there were no casualties! The date of the next casualties was on 15-16th May when the war diary states, ---Dead ---Wounded, carrying bombs forward to HELL DUMP.

To thicken the plot the Wakefield City Roll Of Honour gives the date of death as May 17th.

I have his MIC but cannot find his service record - I think it must have been destroyed in the bombing of WW2. Does the museum hold copies?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

David

Sandy is good but I think me might need a name to go on David.

:D John

Oh Dear! Thanks John!

Sandy, This may help whittle it down a bit:

Name: Private Albert Clements

Service Number: 332896

9th BN. Highland Light Infantry

Grave @ Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux

Oh Dear! Thanks John!

Sandy, This may help whittle it down a bit:

Name: Private Albert Clements

Service Number: 332896

9th BN. Highland Light Infantry

Grave @ Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux

David

We don't hold any Personal Records at the museum, but I'll check through all the other material we hold and see what I can come up with once I'm back at work next week

Thanks for that Sandy

David

David

Hist entry in the SDGW is:

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919

about Albert Clements

Name:Albert ClementsBirth Place:Wakefield, YorksResidence:WakefieldDeath Date:11 May 1917Rank:PrivateRegiment:Highland Light InfantryBattalion:9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion (Territorial).Number:332896Type of Casualty:DiedTheatre of War:Aldershot

I've not been able to find any other information on him, you might want to check the local papers to find out if they have any information on him (the Glasgow Evening Times has an excellent index for Glasgow men killed in the Great War).

Can't come up with any easy explanation as to why his death is not recorded in the War Diary! like you say there were no actions of any note for quite a few months prior to 16th May, I can only think his DOD has been recorded incorrectly, but not sure of the when why or how! or even by whom... more questions than answers for your Gt Grandfathers death David.

anyone with ideas like to have a stab?

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy, Thank you for having a look. Seems that when I start digging about, all I end up with is a big hole! Following a lead as to why he is not on the Wakefield Roll Of Honour.

Thanks again

David

Hi David. The Scottish National War Memorial, has his date as the 11th, though that is probably taken from CWGC.

vp7qft.jpg

It might be worth asking some of the very knowledgeable people here

Cheers Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Sandy

I have a database of 16th HLI men. if you are interested please send me a message. I hope the Veitch medals are in safe keeping.

Regards

Woody

Woody

Really sorry not to have been in touch, this thread had slipped under my Radar!

Veitch's medals are all tucked up awaiting our 'expert' doing 'something' with them! If I'd known how long it would take I'd have done something myself!

Always interested in getting more info, especially on our Service Battalions

Hi Sandy came across in an RS scrapbook, the officers of the 8th HLI who were with the 8th RS, I haven't came across anything about the 8th HLI at the Dardanelles though.

John

post-12171-1268592594.jpg

Hi Sandy came across in an RS scrapbook, the officers of the 8th HLI who were with the 8th RS, I haven't came across anything about the 8th HLI at the Dardanelles though.

John

post-12171-1268592594.jpg

Thanks for that John, the more info I can get on the 8th the better

• 2 years later...

Hello Sandy,

I'm interested as to why the 14th Bn War Diary is not 'digitised' at the National Archives.

Any clues as to why?

It'd be expensive to ask them for copies of the whole Diary - they charge by the page.

My grandfather, Pte 37091, Robert Lang, was with the 14th Bn and was killed in action on 24 Apr 1917.

He is buried at Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery, Gouzeaucourt, France.

I have managed to gather most of his documents (MIC, CWGC, SNWM, etc).

I've sent a private email to the above address, but I thought I'd better post here too (just in case).

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang

• 5 months later...

For anyone interested in the 14th Bn HLI, I have now transcribed the Bn War Diary and it is in Sandy's capable hands at the RHF Museum in Glasgow.

I'm happy to do look-ups for anyone interested in the 14th Bn.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

• 6 years later...

Hi Sandy, I would like to find some information on my great uncle, Frederick Thomas Driscoll 3452853. Joined HLI 15.1.40 and left 5.3.46. He was wounded twice and I wish to find out which battalion he was in and where he served. If you could point me in the correct direction or advise what I can join to learn this, it would be greatly appreciated.  Kind regards, Mark Driscoll. 

• Admin

Dear Mark,

Welcome   to the forum. Unfortunately your query is  outside the remit of the forum which is a WW1 forum, not WW2. Sandy hasn't visited the forum for 5 years but there are some contact details in his original post.

Michelle