Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry look ups

SANDY_LEISHMAN

War Diaries for the following Highland Light Infantry Battalions are available for look up via research@rhf.org.uk

2 HLI

6 HLI

9 HLI

10 HLI

10/11 HLI

11 HLI

12 HLI (available on CD Rom)

Proud Heritage Vol III (Covers the Highland Light Infantry during the 1st WW)

The Highland Light Infantry Chronicles (the HLI 'in-house' magazine) 1916-1918

Officers Record of Service (a brief summary of details of service) for the following Battalions:

6th HLI

7th HLI

9th HLI

10th HLI

15th HLI

16th HLI

17th HLI

and the 18th HLI

for any other research into a soldier who served in the Highland Light Infantry contact Sandy Leishman at:

research@rhf.org.uk

or at

RHF Museum Research Dept

518 Sauchiehall Street

Glasgow

G2 3LW

Tel: 0141 332 0961

Excellent Sandy, thanks for that. I now have the 2nd Bn Diary, which is a great help. I have a N/A copy of original, but it is very difficult to read, and this is very useful.

Cheers Mike

Excellent Sandy, thanks for that. I now have the 2nd Bn Diary, which is a great help. I have a N/A copy of original, but it is very difficult to read, and this is very useful.

Cheers Mike

Mike

Your very welcome, anything else we can do for you just let me know

Sandy

Thanks Sandy,

Now have 10th Bn War Diary, and my Great great Uncles death is mentioned 06/08/1915.

Many thanks for pointer.

Ray

Glad you managed to get into the section and got some information Ray

Hi Sandy.

sorry for email, but was getting so frustrated password would just not go in. All my fault though, uppercase `B`, lowercase `b`, Gosh I think I`ve got it.

Many Thanks

Ray

Hi Sandy,

One little question for you, this is a how longs a piece of string question!!! But as my old Mun used to say "If you don`t ask you don`t get".

10th Bn HLI war diary states, that on the 5 Aug 1915 Lance Serjeant Daly was killed. there was no initial but the CWGC names him as Hugh Daly. I believe him to be my great great uncle.

The diary also states that on the 07 Aug 1915 Pte Daly, H, was killed. there is no mention of him on the CWGC.

Could this be the same man? and be a small error on the compiler of the war diarys part?

How long is a piece of string, many thanks.

Ray

Hi Sandy,

One little question for you, this is a how longs a piece of string question!!! But as my old Mun used to say "If you don`t ask you don`t get".

10th Bn HLI war diary states, that on the 5 Aug 1915 Lance Serjeant Daly was killed. there was no initial but the CWGC names him as Hugh Daly. I believe him to be my great great uncle.

The diary also states that on the 07 Aug 1915 Pte Daly, H, was killed. there is no mention of him on the CWGC.

Could this be the same man? and be a small error on the compiler of the war diarys part?

How long is a piece of string, many thanks.

Ray

I think it might just be an error Ray (but that's just an educated guess!)

Thanks Mike,

Same as me then, you did not find any mention of Pte H Daly who was killed on the 7 Aug 1915.

Thanks Sandy,

Got the feeling that this was an error, and they are the same man, but who knows!!

Many thanks to you both.

Ray

Hi Ray

The Scottish National War Memorial record his details thus:

Surname DALY

Firstname Hugh

Service Number 12425

Date Death 25/09/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Coatbridge

Other 10th Bn.

SNWM roll THE HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

Rank L/Sgt

Theatre of death F.& F.

SC70/8/121/15

The reference number is his will which is held at the Scottish National Archives in Edinburgh.

John

Hi and Thanks John.

The deeper you looking the more complicated it gets, So when did he die?

CWGC 06 Aug, 1915,

10th Bn War Diaries 05 Aug, 1915,

Scottish National War Memorial, 29 Sept 1915,

I do understand dates can be a problem, date of death, Date of notification, and such like. So I`m more inclined to believe the War Diary. However still no record of Pte H Daly who died on the 07 Aug 1915, so I`m sure that it is the same man. Perhaps he was an acting or local Lance Serjeant and things got confused and the Diary officer thought they were talking about two different people

Many Thanks to you all, this is quite good fun. Good job I`m not an officer of the law, no one would ever get caught.

Ray

Did a quick check the archives have his death recorded on the opening day off Loos but as you might expect no indication as to when he sustained his wound(s)

Will of 12425 Lance Sergeant Hugh Daly, 10th Bn. or (S), Highland Light Infantry, Cause of death: Died of Wounds, France and Flanders, Theatre: France and Flanders, 25 Sep 1915

However to further muddy the waters I have checked the Evening Times roll of honour and found two entries in realtion to Sgt Hugh Daly 10th HLI, from New Stevenson, dated 12th and 14th August ,1915 the one from the 14th with a picture. His place of death is given as Mons.

Hope this assists.

John

Hi John,

Your a star.

What, where is New Stevenson?? Do I appear calm, let me tell you I`m bursting out of my seams. A picture possibly, John I`m shaking, how can I get or see a copy of this picture. Amazing this all takes time but eventually things begin to fall into place.

Once again, many thanks and eagerly waiting your reply.

Ray

Don't take this as gospel but North Lanarkshire rings a bell, I'm sure my western 'cousins' will be able to confirm this.

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has the archive Evening Times, maybe Sandy or David McNay could oblige and check for you, I am through in the 'Far East'

John

PS I always tended to get my man - Evening all

Don't take this as gospel but North Lanarkshire rings a bell, I'm sure my western 'cousins' will be able to confirm this.

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has the archive Evening Times, maybe Sandy or David McNay could oblige and check for you, I am through in the 'Far East'

John

PS I always tended to get my man - Evening all

North Lanarkshire it is... just down the road from me!.

well done John excellent bit of research (ye fancy a wee job at the musuem?)

I'll try and pop over to the Mitchell with my trusty camera hidden up my duke tmw

Hello Sandy,

Found the Mitchell Library on th interweb. Do you know if the will sell you pictures/articles if you contact them.

Am I getting on your nerves yet.

Ray

Hi Ray

Leave it in Sandy's capable hand and considerable 'duke', I'm sure he will do the needful. B)

John

Thanks John,

You folk north of the Border are really quite nice and helpful, and I for one am indebted to you both. All those stories we hear about you must be lies. Well except the one about the goalposts at Wembley in 1977, and I saw that with my own eyes.

Thank you both very much

Ray

Hi Ray

Leave it in Sandy's capable hand and considerable 'duke', I'm sure he will do the needful. B)

John

ah'll considerable duke ye! lol

Here's the photo's (taken sneakily while the librarian wisnae looking!)... sorry for the not so great quality, if you give me your email I'll send the full sized ones to you Ray

daly.jpg

dalyobit.jpg

That's a great effort Sandy I'm sure Ray will be delighted.

Sorry about the wee joke ;)

(PS My Granny's family were from Benhar, but I'm sure you will forgive me for that.)

John

That's a great effort Sandy I'm sure Ray will be delighted.

Sorry about the wee joke ;)

(PS My Granny's family were from Benhar, but I'm sure you will forgive me for that.)

John

It's a funny thing but we might actually be related!.... my mammy's family name was Duncan, who were West Lothian/East Lanarkshire Miners, found out not long ago I'm related to another GWF member, Tom Gordon, we share a Gt Gt Grandfather!

Hi Sandy

My Granny was a Gibson till she married my namesake, her mother was a Jack, she married my G Granfather Alexander Gibson in Benhar.

Coincidentally today is the 91st anniversary of my Granny's brother Charlie's deat (see signature)

But hey you never know we still might be related.

John

Hi Sandy, John.

Thanks very much for the time and effort in looking for, and sending the details and picture of Serjeant Daly H. I`m sorry to have to say this is not my Great great Uncle. Feel really bad now, hope you don`t think I`ve been mucking you about.

Many, many thanks to you both and if there is anything I can do in return please let me Know.

Ray

Hi Sandy, John.

Thanks very much for the time and effort in looking for, and sending the details and picture of Serjeant Daly H. I`m sorry to have to say this is not my Great great Uncle. Feel really bad now, hope you don`t think I`ve been mucking you about.

Many, many thanks to you both and if there is anything I can do in return please let me Know.

Ray

a pity it's the wrong man Ray, good luck on finding the right man

Sandy