Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual CWGC Sign on Cemetery

Doc2

Good morning, all. We are all aware of the standard CWGC signs placed at the entrance post of a cemetery to say that there is a war grave inside-- you know, the metal ones which say "Commonwealth War Grave" in any of several language combinations. Yesterday, I ran across one which strikes me as unusual to say the least. It is engraved on marble in handwriting script, and says "Commonwealth War Graves Commission-- Ici Repose Un Soldat Anglais". My first thought was that it was a production of the local cemetery, but then I realised that the words "Commonwealth War Graves Commission" were in English, which makes it seem more GWGC in origin. Does anyone know if this plaque is in any way an official CWGC product, perhaps an early one before the metal ones were standardised? The standard metal plaque was on the other side of the gate. Thanks for any thoughts. Doc

post-5945-1255939875.jpg

Actually, it's in Belgium at the entrance to a communal cemetery- As I noted, the standard CWGC War Grave sign was on the other post- I'm currently photographing all the Hainault, Namur, Luxembourg, and Liege Provinces (Belgium) isolated graves and ran across that one. Doc