The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield bolt

auchonvillerssomme

While looking at the bolts of my Lee Enfield's SMLE's and No4's I notice that one has a bolt which has a hollow (ish) ball. Never noticed this before is it common?

Mick

While looking at the bolts of my Lee Enfield's SMLE's and No4's I notice that one has a bolt which has a hollow (ish) ball. Never noticed this before is it common?

Mick

IRRC it was intended for the No5 "Jungle carbine" rifle as a lightening measure, I can check refs when I get home but I am pretty sure I am correct.

They show up on No4s quite a lot (and No5s often have solid bolt) but would not be correct for standard No1 MkIIIs of any vintage to the best of my knowledge although the Australians did some experimentation late in WWII with "shortened lightened" No1s and these (which are incredibly rare museum pieces) may have had drilled out bolts.

Chris

Yep, the No 5 had the lightened bolt. However, the bolts from the No 4 and No5 are interchangeable so you will find them on either rifle. Arsenals were not too picky which parts went on the rifle to make them serviceable.....chris3

Many thanks for that, I found the reference to the No5 bolt. If the armoury made no distinction even though they were interchangeable I wonder what the instruction was?

mick

It is unlikely that a unit armoury would have both No.4 and No.5s on charge at the same time. Any exchange that did take place is likely to have been when the weapons were undergoing Factory Thorough Repair (FTR) and replacement bolts would be fitted with the correct bolthead and renumbered to the rifle.

Regards

TonyE

Agree - what TonyE said.