Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery

terryb95

One of my great uncles left the UK in 1911 to join the "Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery" On the 26th Nov 1918 he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery CEF and was sent to Number 5 Depot. On the Enlistment form it has him serving in the "Active Milita" and his address was the Citadel Quebec.

What Active Milita RCGA units were at the Citadel and where was number five depot.

Thanks

Terry Barrett

West Australia

At that period Canada was divided into Militia Districts. MD 5 was Quebec City, so that is where I believe the depot would have been. I'll have to check my 1914 Militia List to tell you which R.C.G.A. unit was stationed at the Citadel in 1914. From one source it looks like it was No. 3 Company.

He ws probably attached to a Militia unit as an instructor.

Canadian military nomenclature at this period is confusing. The "Permanent Active Militia" were the regulars (including the R.C.G.A.). The "Non-Permanent Active Militia" were the part-time Militia.

One of my great uncles left the UK in 1911 to join the "Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery" On the 26th Nov 1918 he enlisted in the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery CEF and was sent to Number 5 Depot. On the Enlistment form it has him serving in the "Active Milita" and his address was the Citadel Quebec.

What Active Milita RCGA units were at the Citadel and where was number five depot.

Thanks

Terry Barrett

West Australia

If you click on the link in my signature you can determine what unit he may have enlisted with based on the block his regimental number falls within. I'm wondering if this No. 5 Depot has something to do with the 5th Regiment RCGA in BC.