Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment

liverpool annie

The 85th Bgde were having a rather hard time in trenchs astride the canal near the bluff, on this day, so they would have been in this area, on the night of the 15th 84th Bgde began relieving the 85th, 1st Welch relieved the 3rd RF, I will see if I can dig out any more

On the 22nd Feb the Battalions of the 28th Div had all suffered from casulties and trench foot to such an extent that it was considered advisable to send them for a rest to a quieter part of the line. The conditions in this part of the line at this time were appalling, remember 28th Div had only began arriving in France in the middle of Jan, in a month they were almost wrecked, and remember a big part of this Div were regulars, returning from outposts all over the empire, the rest were TF battalions. "The mud on the bluff was so deep a man and a mule were both sucked under before help could reach them" Men went about barefoot, because there boots were sucked from there feet, no wonder trench foot was so bad!

Thanks for your help evolution ! but can you tell me whereabouts they were ?

My man died on that day and I'm wondering if he died of wounds ( or even Trench Foot ! ) or if he was killed in action

In Memory of

Corporal WILLIAM THOMAS RODAWAY

L/12392, 3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment

who died

on 15 February 1915

Remembered with honour

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Annie

Annie,

I don't know if you've run it through Geoff's Search Engine, but there are 58 casualties to 3rd Bn Middlesex for the 15th Feb 1915, (as opposed to 4 on both the 14th and 16th).

Phil

No I didn't Phil ! ( I have a hard time with Geoff's engine lately !! )

But thats interesting ... wonder where they were ? ... I'm going gozzy here trying to sort out the 28th Div ... without much luck I'm afraid !!

Annie

Hi Annie

According to “The Die-Hards in the Great War”

It says that the 3rd Middlesex were in M Trench, and “B” and “C” Companies (Middlesex) occupied the new “P” and “O” trenches as the Germans still held the original “O” Trench and a portion of the original "P" Trench.

According to “History of the East Surrey Regiment”

Three platoons of “B” Company and Two of “C” Company of the 2nd Batt ES were with the 3rd Batt Middlesex Regt in action at M trench close to St Eloi.

The original “P” and “O” Trenches were near the western angle of Triangular wood.

regards

Nigel

Thank you Nigel for your help ! :)

Can I ask a silly question ? ... does it say where the trenches were ? is there a trench map there by any chance ?

Annie :)

Hi Annie,

Sorry I don’t have any Trench Maps, but there is a small map in the front of “History of the East Surrey Regiment” of the Ypres Salient. I have done a scan of the area where the East Surrey and Middlesex Battalions were on the 15th February 1915 even though the front lines marked are for 1917.

St Eloi is about 5 miles south of Ypres and the area of interest is from the town to the canal heading east. The trenches were lettered from M to T starting at St Eloi and P being near to the western angle of Triangular Wood. The trenches, though in communication, were not continuous and the gaps between them were anything up to 150 yards, making it impossible to walk round the trench line.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Nigel

post-19948-1256313182.jpg

I cant add any more sorry, Ive been through all I have, aside from the fact on the 15th the 85th Bgde was astride the canal near the Bluff trenchs, the 3rd RF were holding T (which was on the Bluff), X trench was only a series of dugouts with a 40yard view but was able to provide cover for T as there was a lot of dead ground that fritz used to creep under the hillock(the bluff). So if the trenchs ran in A to Z northwards the Diehards must be to the right of 3rd RF, towards St Eloi, perhaps a Battn in between them both!

Hi Annie,

Sorry I don't have any Trench Maps, but there is a small map in the front of "History of the East Surrey Regiment" of the Ypres Salient. I have done a scan of the area where the East Surrey and Middlesex Battalions were on the 15th February 1915 even though the front lines marked are for 1917.

St Eloi is about 5 miles south of Ypres and the area of interest is from the town to the canal heading east. The trenches were lettered from M to T starting at St Eloi and P being near to the western angle of Triangular Wood. The trenches, though in communication, were not continuous and the gaps between them were anything up to 150 yards, making it impossible to walk round the trench line.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Nigel

Well on the map you can see the Bluff, 3rd RF were there, and I reckon 3rd Middlesex were to there right, with a Battn in between them, but im not sure

Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me evolution !

I know a lot more now than I did before !! :rolleyes:

Thanks again !

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder if anybody can tell me what was happening to the 3rd Middlesex Regiment 15th Feb 1915 ?

Thanking you in advance !

My Great Grandfather, PRIVATE CHARLES SPENCER 9999 was in that batallion, in A and B Coys. so he could well have been there and even served with your man.

• 1 year later...

I have a transcription of the 3rd Battalion's war diary from January 19th to February 87th 1915 which anyone is welcome to. It was done from the microfilm at the National Archives and prints I had made - the transcription isn't quite complete as there were bits, particularly names, that I couldn't read. For the record, the casualities during the period were:

7-10th: 1 officer killed, 2 wounded; 26 OR killed, 56 wounded

13-15th: 4 officers killed, 3 wonded; 44 OR killed, 62 wounded; 156 OR missing

There were some casulaties on the 17th: 2 OR wounded and a partol missing

Pete