Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment ?

weejock

There isn't a John H listed in the NA as Cameronians, there are 13 Johns, a John D, John S and a John W. There are 4 John H's but they are RAMC, RE, RFA and 1/7 London Regt later Labour Corps.

So he either served as John or changed Corps before going abroad.

Not unusual to have the middle initial missing, and he might not have served overseas or yes, changed unit before doing so, and which fact does not show up on the MIC.

He did serve overseas as there is a postcard to his sister with a Paris postmark on it. I thought Cams (SR) as well because he stayed not far from the 7th Cameronians (SR) base in Glasgow's southside. I have been told that he was discharged after being infected with mustard gas. still trying to find out about any medals he may have be issued.

thanks

weejock

He did serve overseas as there is a postcard to his sister with a Paris postmark on it. I thought Cams (SR) as well because he stayed not far from the 7th Cameronians (SR) base in Glasgow's southside. I have been told that he was discharged after being infected with mustard gas. still trying to find out about any medals he may have be issued.

thanks

weejock

None of the Cams are listed as 7th, even if he did join them he could easily have been transferred to another Bn, the 7th served in Gallipoli then Egypt till April 1918, do you know if he was there? when is the postcard dated ?

If he was indeed "infected with mustard gas" then it can reduce the No's of John Buchanan's on the NA's further, Mustard gas was 1st used in Sept 1917 AFTER the Territorial Force re-numbering that spring so you can probably rule out 3 men with 3 and 4 digit service No's (2 of these are listed on the MIC as 2nd Bn), also there are 3 Johns listed on CWGC so from 13 Johns you're down to 7, one was a CSM and he can be ruled out so down to 6.

Of those 6, 2 men No 26570 and 3534 transferred to the Labour Corps where they became 477290 and 271317 respectively.

There were 2 men with 8th Bn post re-numbering No's, 144 later 290606 and No 291258, it should be noted the 8th Bn served with the 7th in Gallipoli and Egypt.

One man 1827 later became 240229 a 6th Bn No and the final one 9127 became 424202 in the RE then back to the Cams as 201125 a 5th Bn No, both Bn's served in France from 1914 then were merged 29th May 1916 and remained 5/6th Bn for the rest of the war.

I'm taking the re-numbering from the Long Long Trail, finally remember this only works if he went abroad as a Cam and didn't transfer before embarkation to another Regt or Corps, the date on the postcard can tell a lot.

post-5527-1255955118.jpg

Here is the back of the postcard, I said it was postmarked Paris when in fact I should have said it was marked/ printed in Paris. I have emailed my relative to ask if there is a date on the card.

Looks like the card was probably inserted in a covering envelope - the card is not addressed, stamped nor cancelled.

If the card was printed in Paris (nothing to do with where he was located) then it is likely the photo was taken in France. In which case who was the girl?

I take it the photo and Postcard are 2 seperate items? is the photo with his Sister and is there any date or info on the back of it?

If there's no other way to reduce the possibilities then I can only suggest yourself or maybe some benevolent soul with a subscription to ancestry checks for Service or Pension records for the 6 possibles and you get lucky.

Sam

SAM said...

"If there's no other way to reduce the possibilities then I can only suggest yourself or maybe some benevolent soul with a subscription to ancestry checks for Service or Pension records for the 6 possibles and you get lucky."

:blush: Any Takers!!

ps. yes, Sorry they are actually 2 seperate items.

weejock

It might be worth starting a new thread asking for look up help with the details of the 6 men, as some people will have looked at the thread when you posted and decided they couldn't help or saw the posts saying he was Cams and possibly won't look again, remember the thread was titled "What Regiment?" and it was answered.

BTW was there anything on the back of the photo?

Good luck

Sam

Hi WeeJock

Was your mans dads name John ? and did they live at Merryland Street Govan ?.

Gary.

P.S.

I`m not sure about the Cameronians ?

Should the buttons not be dull ?

Hi WeeJock

Was your mans dads name John ? and did they live at Merryland Street Govan ?.

Gary.

P.S.

I`m not sure about the Cameronians ?

Should the buttons not be dull ?

Have you found something Gary?

As for the buttons, this man is 8th Bn.

post-34049-1255989430.jpg

Hi I was going over the pension records,and this lad from Merryland Street Govan was in them,he was in the 7th Bn but very low Number 889,and his middle name was Mconie ?,( is the H a sure Thing ?) may not be the lad,but it was the 7th that drew me to him.

Gary

Hi I was going over the pension records,and this lad from Merryland Street Govan was in them,he was in the 7th Bn but very low Number 889,and his middle name was Mconie ?,( is the H a sure Thing ?) may not be the lad,but it was the 7th that drew me to him.

Gary

Gary

On Scotlands People, I found a John Headrick Buchanan born 29/05/1894 on Caledonia Road, a stones throw from the 7th's Territorial Hall on Victoria Road, his parents were Alexander and Elizabeth Nee Drummond, in the 1901 census he had 5 Sisters Mary 15, Helen 13, Catherine 10, Margaret 4 and Elizabeth 1 and they were living on Naburn ? possibly Gate which joins Caledonia Rd.

Merrylees Rd, Govan is 2 1/2 mils away as the crow flies.

weejock, is either of these Men your Gt Gt Grandfather?

Gary

On Scotlands People, I found a John Headrick Buchanan born 29/05/1894 on Caledonia Road, a stones throw from the 7th's Territorial Hall on Victoria Road, his parents were Alexander and Elizabeth Nee Drummond, in the 1901 census he had 5 Sisters Mary 15, Helen 13, Catherine 10, Margaret 4 and Elizabeth 1 and they were living on Naburn ? possibly Gate which joins Caledonia Rd.

Merrylees Rd, Govan is 2 1/2 mils away as the crow flies.

weejock, is either of these Men your Gt Gt Grandfather?

YES Roughdiamond. thats my great grandfather John Headrick Buchanan alright. Headrick was a spelling mistake as the name was actually Headridge after his grandmother. His the address was Naburn St where my family stayed right up until the sixties. as I said in my post they stayed right next to the Cameronians TA hall.

Merrylees Rd was on the other side of the River Clyde. not much of a distance in them days to walk.

ps... There was no other post marks or dates on the postcard. looks like it may have been hand delivered or posted in an envelope....!!

YES Roughdiamond. thats my great grandfather John Headrick Buchanan alright. Headrick was a spelling mistake as the name was actually Headridge after his grandmother. His the address was Naburn St where my family stayed right up until the sixties. as I said in my post they stayed right next to the Cameronians TA hall.

Merrylees Rd was on the other side of the River Clyde. not much of a distance in them days to walk.

Were getting there then, best thing to do now is post the photo, Date and place of Birth, Residence on enlistment and the details of the 6 men we narrowed it down to in a fresh post on the Soldiers forum, you've got a better chance of more help that way.

Sam