Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW camps

Guest burannie

I wast just wondering if anyone had info on the following POW camps as my Great Grandfather George William Burgess was held in them: Munster, Lager Senne III, Minden Camp, Soltau Camp between 1915 and 1918 when he was sent to Holland until being admitted to King George H. Stamford ST.SE for 7months. Any info on the King George Hospotal or POW's sent to Holland before come back to UK would also be greatly appriciated.

many thanks

Ann

Ann,

Reports are available for all these camps but can you confirm that Munster is Munsterlager rather than Münster (I, II or III) as they are distinctly different camps.

Doug

Hi Doug

My Great Grandfather was Lance Corporal George William Burgess 8th Batallion DLI service number when taken prisoner 1801 but later changed to 300098. He was already in the 8th DLI Territorial Force for a couple of years before the war broke out. In addition to this he also served in the RGA 1898-1903 and fought in the Boar War so was in his 30's when he fought in WW1.

On the CICR Attestation it says in the german hands in Munster i/W so am not sure which Munster it is. i seam to be able to get plenty of info on the Boar War and even where he was on the day he was captured but POW info seems harder to come by. I am making the journey to the National Archives in December to look over some Pow interviews.

Any info i can get will be a grat help

thanks Ann

Ann,

Munster i/w is enough to identify it as one of the three Münster camps (i/w = in Westphalia, Munsterlager was in Hannover). Without knowing which of the three camps it was makes it difficult as all three were distinctly different. I was a purpose built camp outside the town with wooden huts also known as Haus Spital, II was the racecourse aka Rennbahn and III was a newly built barracks. There are descriptions here

Soltau is here

Sennelager is here

Minden is here

Doug

My grandfather was in Munster 1 , Hameln and Minden, and was held at Urk in Holland towards the end of the war, He was Corporal William Needahm 11995 8th Lincolns, wounded and captured at Loos on the 26th of Sept 1915

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

You state that you have more photos do you mean just of the Soltau POW Camp? Or do you mean of other WW1 POW Camps? Very interesting photo BTW.

Many thanks,

Ivor

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

I am hoping someone out their can Help me in my research for Thomas A. Ward who was born in 1932 and was in the Korean war 1950 to 1953 he was in A prison Camp in Ch ang Song his Serial number was 14280997. Before I go any further this person in not related to me but to my Husband’s best friend who was in the prison camp with Thomas and he has been trying to find his friend From what I know Thomas is from Birmingham and the address I was given for him was 1 Kernthorpe Rd, King heath, Birmingham England from what my husband’s friend told me, while him and Thomas were in Prison camp they kept one another alive and became very good friends the last time Thomas’s friend Bill had word from Thomas was in 1955 and now he wants to know if his good friend is still alive or dead or maybe some relations of Thomas’s Bill is now 83 yrs old and he said his friend would be about the same age as him. Thomas was Captured in 1951 and was released in 1953. I am hoping some good Samaritan can help. Thank you. Kind regards

Paula

well all day I was on the computer researching for Thomas A. Ward who was in a prison camp in Korean in 1950 and it turnes out his name wasn't Thomas A. Ward it was Augustine A.Ward he was born 14 Jan 1933 and died May 1998 however he did live at Kernthorpe Rd, Birmingham the 1960 but for some reason today it's not called Kernthorpe Rd anymore now I know why Bill's letter was returned to him. they must have changed street names in the 60's any he was 65 yrs old when he died. don't no if he had a wife or children... now I have to face Bill and break the news to him about his friend Augustine, it's not something i would like to have to tell him over the phone.so I am going to call on him and let him know, he always talked about his Friend Auhustine and about when they were in the prison caml together and how one would fall asleep on the other ones lay and the other would keep watch also about how they kept one another alive and the Christmas card he received from Augustine in 1955.

thanks for your help, kind regards and best wishes..

Paula

• 3 months later...

I wast just wondering if anyone had info on the following POW camps as my Great Grandfather George William Burgess was held in them: Munster, Lager Senne III, Minden Camp, Soltau Camp between 1915 and 1918 when he was sent to Holland until being admitted to King George H. Stamford ST.SE for 7months. Any info on the King George Hospotal or POW's sent to Holland before come back to UK would also be greatly appriciated.

many thanks

Ann

Hi Ann,

I have several photo/postcards of the POWs at Soltau and the camp itself. I would be more than pleased to email them to you to see if your Great-grandfather is in any of the photos.

Phil

watfordp1@aol.com

• 1 year later...