Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L Company, 3rd Special Battalion RE

Mark Foxe

I have been seeking some information on L Company which was one of 4 companies in the 3rd Battalion of the Special Brigade RE. I would like to know a bit more about their actions of 26/27 February 1917, particularly their locations and casualties.

The War Diary of the 42nd Battalion, 11th Australian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Australian Division states on 26 February 1917:

'Locality 6 was subjected to severe bombardment in retaliation for 10th Bde raid which took place left of this sector. Smoke was let off from Loc 6 (L'Epinette) and the retaliation bombardment caused several casualties among "L" Coy, R.E., who released it.'

In endeavouring to identify the casualties incurred in L Company I came across six men (all KIA) buried at Cite Bonjean Military Cemetery on the 26 and 27 February 1917.

Perhaps someone (maybe Terry Reeves) may have an insight into the War Diary of 3rd Special Battalion RE?

Thanks,

Mark

Terry,

That's excellent. Any light you can shed on the topic would be great. I appreciate your time.

Regards,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Just throwing this thread back out there in the hope that someone (Terry Reeves Special Brigade guru, perhaps?) will take the bait.

Hello Mark

I realise you are in Australia so it will probably not be possible for you to visit the Nationa Archives at Kew! However, the War Diary file references are as follows:

WO 95/121 3 Battalion Royal Engineers 1916 Jan. - 1917 Feb.

WO 95/334 `L' Special Company Royal Engineers 1917 Mar. - 1919 May

Murphy's Law dictates that the date you are interested in comes just at the point where companies started to keep their own diaries.

You may find a professional researcher in the "Classified Ads" section of the Forum, or someone else who is planning to visit Kew in the near future, who could look it up for you.

Good luck!

Ron

Many thanks Ron. You're right in that Kew is a little bit out of reach of Sydney. Maybe one day though! I appreciate the Diary File References as that's a good start point at least.

Best wishes,

Mark