The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need some help - Victory Bond safe

LimeyGuy2009

Good evening to all, I'm new to the site (actually referred to by first the Canadian War Museum and then further by US author Jane A Kimball - my trench art angle will be obvious) and would appreciate any possible insights to my inquiry.

I've been trying to find information on a Souvenir Victory Bond safe that I have in my possession. In my email correspondence with her, Ms Kimball had never seen or heard of such an item, so now I'm really curious as to whether this is just a one off.

Its fashioned from what is apparently a 6 " British howitzer shell. The top of the shell appears removable, by way of a Yale lock (for which I have no key). The small plaque attached bears the words; "Souvenir Victory Bond safe Six Inch British howitzer shellGreat War 1914-1918" It also has stamped in the casing what appears to be a serial number. SJ2, followed by a small circle, then 874. Around the nose of the shell is stamped ADF No.1 I've tried in vain to find information on the item, but with absolutely no luck whatsoever. I'm in the process of (carefully) cleaning the brass ring at the base of the shell and intend to make it a display piece in the family home. As a conversation piece, I'd at least like to know a little more about the history of the item. Again, I've exhausted every avenue online. If anyone can help, much appreciated.

I can email pictures upon request. Moderators - if I've posted in the wrong spot, my apologies.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Toronto

Canada

Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum. The search engine on top would be a great place to start looking for old posts about Howitzer shells and their markings. This could be a starting point.

Good Hunting,

shawn

Schools and similar institutions were encouraged to run regular savings schemes to buy Victory Bonds. Victory bond safes were issued to hold the monies as collected but I've never seen even a photo of one. I would surmise that your shell is one saved after the war as a souvenir.

Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum. The search engine on top would be a great place to start looking for old posts about Howitzer shells and their markings. This could be a starting point.

Good Hunting,

shawn

Thanks for the tip Shawn.

Schools and similar institutions were encouraged to run regular savings schemes to buy Victory Bonds. Victory bond safes were issued to hold the monies as collected but I've never seen even a photo of one. I would surmise that your shell is one saved after the war as a souvenir.

Awful picture guys but you get the idea. This thing is a work out just lifting it, so apologies for the bag n rags...closest things around to protect the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43713118@N05/4027265923/