Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Lincolnshire Rgt

alan jones

Hello ,

Are there any Lincolnshire Rgt experts out there ? I would like to know where and what the 8th Bn Lincolnshire Rgt were doing on 30/6/1918 when their RSM William Clifford was killed if possible please .

Regards

Alan

From Soldiers Died Great War

Born Horsham, Surrey

Residence Guildford, Surrey

Death 30/6/1918

Enlisted Exeter

Rank CSM

Number 9687

8th Bn Lincolnshire Reg

type of casualty died

Not sure if he died with Bn, or of illness, or other so the War Diary may not give you much information.

Perhaps someone else may be able to help with the meaning of " died "

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike,

Perhaps it was the flu epidemic of that time ? I found another soldier recently who 'died ' as POW of flu .

Regards

Alan

There are 14 pages of his service record on Ancestry.

view record-age 19-born about 1890-Horsham Essex-document yr 1909- 14 pages

2drymu0.jpg

Seems his number then was 9540. If you can access Ancestry, check these details, and make sure I have read it right. Good luck.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike ,

I had been searching Ancestry early today but was not finding him . It is certainly him and I see that he had an absciss to scapula, but I can't see if this killed him . I notice the signature of Lily Beatrice Clifford which confirms correct man anyway .

Regards

Alan

where and what the 8th Bn Lincolnshire Rgt were doing on 30/6/1918

"Battalion in Trenches. Slight Shelling. Casualties - 3 OR "

That's all that the diary says for 30th June (and it reads exactly the same bar the casualty numbers (1/Nil/3/Nil)for the previous 4 days too. The trenches referred to were at Essarts.

There's even less info in the regimental history.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Thats a very thin report for what was going on for anyone interested in Lincolns, I guess it was down to the ' scribe ' of the day .

Regards

Alan

Thanks Dave,

Thats a very thin report for what was going on for anyone interested in Lincolns, I guess it was down to the ' scribe ' of the day .

Regards

Alan

Alan

Originally a 2nd Lincolns man joined the 8th on 21st Dec 1915.

possibly wounded with the second before going to the 8th as he has two casualty nos.

Wounded 1-3/7/1916 most probably the 1st July as he was back in England by the 3rd July

recovered from wounds and posted back to the 8th.

Originally landed in France 5/11/1914.

John

Thanks John ,

Thats very interesting , he certainly saw some action and did well to get to RSM. Its a shame he met his demise like it sounds though .

Regards

Alan

Here is his Medal roll, just going through my records to see if we have anything further on him.

No.9540 was a 1st Bn. man Pte. Joe Bainton.

Dick

mr1698.jpgw640.png

Thank you Dick much appreciated and any further info would be very welcome. I am hoping a photo of him exists somewhere, I am sure he would look good as a RSM.

Regards

Alan

Having orginally landed in France on 5/11/1914 would (I think) make him an "original" member of 2nd Lincs.

Reported in the Times list of wounded of 27 May 1916, and MID on 14 Dec 1917.

Jim

Thanks Jim ,

Is it possible to see Times list of wounded online please ? He certainly had an eventful war . It would be good to see what he looked like .

Regards

Alan

Thank you Dick much appreciated and any further info would be very welcome. I am hoping a photo of him exists somewhere, I am sure he would look good as a RSM.

Regards

Alan

He doesn't appear in the Lincolnshire Old Comrades Association lists for the 2nd or for that matter, the 1st Battalions from 1910/13.

I think his number at 9687, the highest I have so far seen is 9564, so it looks like a very late 1913 or very early 1914 (upto August) entrant to the 2nd Bn.

Will keep digging.

Dick

It would seem he was with the Queen's Regt. from Jan. 1904 and had service abroad, looking through the service record, obviously this is where the other number comes from.

DW

Hello ,

I have tried to find his MID on London Gazette but failed , mind you that is not unusual for me , I find it very hard sometimes . It would be good to see his name on wounded list also .

Regards

Alan

Hello ,

I have tried to find his MID on London Gazette but failed , mind you that is not unusual for me , I find it very hard sometimes . It would be good to see his name on wounded list also .

Regards

Alan

Oh, the LG site gives me nightmares.

It maybe aswell to request a look up seperately for this one. The chaps on here are very helpful on this one, if I cannot get into it, I ask.

I will give it a go, though.

Dick