Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment ?

alan jones

Hello ,

Can anyone make out which regiment this badge belonged to please ? Sorry about the quality , I am hoping to maybe get a better photo later with luck .

Regards

Alan

post-6066-1255690823.jpg

Hello ,

Can anyone make out which regiment this badge belonged to please ? Sorry about the quality , I am hoping to maybe get a better photo later with luck .

Regards

Alan

Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC)

post-38150-1255692487.jpg

Alan

RAMC has a similar format.

Sotonmate

Edit : Is there an echo in here !

Alan

With the second image we now know he was a Territorial in the RAMC.

Second Image is the "Imperial Service" badge.

Regards

Steve

Image from Wikipedia....

post-1432-1255694991.jpg

It's the "On Imperial Service" badge, awarded to pre-war Territorials who undertook to serve overseas if the need arose (the Territorial Force having been formed purely for defence of the UK - the distinction was done away with in the 1916 Military Service Act). Put that phrase into the Forum search engine and you will get more detailed explanations...

Thanks for replies, given that this is pre war territorial then, how old would this man have to be to join ? I am trying to discount that this man might be a Royal sussex man who died as POW in Oct 1918 , aged 19 and born 1899 .

Regards

Alan

A better scan as promised, can anyone date this uniform , it was suggested as approx 1908 ish for some reason ?

Regards

Alan

post-6066-1255714374.jpg

it was suggested as approx 1908 ish for some reason ?

1908 was when the Territorial Force was formed but the wearing of the "Imperial Service" badge means this photo dates to no earlier than 1910/1911 when this 'section' of the Territorial Force was introduced. I'm not sure of the exact date of its introduction but I'm sure somebody will be able to give you a better indication of the date though.

Regards

Steve

alan

I thought these badges were worn to indicate that TF soldiers had signed an agreement to serve overseas from 1914,so this from the LLT is worth a read:

http://www.1914-1918.net/tf.htm.

Sotonmate

I thought these badges were worn to indicate that TF soldiers had signed an agreement to serve overseas from 1914

It was certainly worn to indicate they had undertaken to serve outside of the UK but it was introduced before 1914. I've found a better indication as to when it was introduced in The Times, January 6th, 1910....

post-1432-1255735785.jpg