Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lincoln to build a tank

toofatfortakeoff

At the Lincolnshire Regiment association meeting last night, it has become known that a Mark 1 tank will be built (as a replica) to be placed among other suggestions on the roundabout at the top of Tritton Road (Tritton being one of the contract companies that built war machines) (Ruston Bucyrus' buildings still stand incidentally, with the writing still on the buildings and ''tank alley'' on Tritton road from whence the machines exited for France is still there-my girlfriend lived adjacent but she failed to see the irony)

Also a pyramid and sphinx may well be built on the site of the old Sobraon barracks as a memorial to the 1st Lincolns.

Also a pyramid and sphinx may well be built on the site of the old Sobraon barracks as a memorial to the 1st Lincolns.

Full size I hope

This I think is the plan-full size-the 'old duffer' came round this morning and told me. Mind you he managed to lose his Malaya medals one week after award though so I will go and get clarification (medals now replaced)

Not ssooo sure about a full size pyramid :D

Splendid scheme - well done to one and all involved - please keep us updated.

the roundabout at the top of Tritton Road (Tritton being one of the contract companies that built war machines)

sorry toofat, but Tritton Road is named after Sir William Tritton, chairman of William Foster & Co Ltd.

Tritton Road is named after Sir William Tritton, chairman of William Foster & Co Ltd.

Sir William being a crucial contributor to tank development. Glad to see they're building the replica.

Tritton's knighthood was one of his rewards for his contribution. "In 1919 the Royal Commission on Awards to Inventors had the difficult task of assessing the claims of those who had helped in the evolution of the tank. Tritton and [Walter Gordon] Wilson shared £15,000, by far the highest award, and the credit of designing and producing the tank ‘in a concrete practical shape’."

J. W. F. Hill, ‘Tritton, Sir William Ashbee (1875–1946)’, rev. Anita McConnell, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/36561, accessed 17 Oct 2009]

Its been nicknamed "The Roundabout of Death". Lets hope everyone glancing at the tank on the roundabout hasn't already used their no claims. Smash, bang, crash, wallop.........sorry guv I was looking at the tank on the roundabout. Sometimes you have to wonder who suggests these things.

Apparently there is a fullsize working replica of an A7V doing the rounds.

A member of the forum is one of those involved with it

I would love to see that tank.........

Barbara

The A7V replica will be going to RAF Milom Museum very soon, so you can see it there. I will post a pic of it

leaving my yard, next week or so............

Bob

sorry guv I was looking at the tank on the roundabout.

It sould be even worse for them if they crashed into the tank!

The A7V replica will be going to RAF Milom Museum very soon, so you can see it there. I will post a pic of it

leaving my yard, next week or so............

Bob

Photo?....great........

Barbara...

Photo?....great........

Barbara...

Why wait? ;)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=126925&hl=

I have just looked at the video, and the one following it on u-tube. This shows what looks like a Mk.IV hermophrodite tank in Kharkov of all places! Does anyone know of the history of this machine and how it ended up in Kharkov?

• 2 weeks later...

Were A7V replicas not used in a scene in the Blue Max?

Does anyone know of the history of this machine and how it ended up in Kharkov?

Ill beng in a guess White Russian stock captured or abandoned by the Russian Exped force-in the wrong place though-too far South in Kharkov but it could have been bought in up through the Dardanelles.

Ill beng in a guess White Russian stock captured or abandoned by the Russian Exped force-in the wrong place though-too far South in Kharkov but it could have been bought in up through the Dardanelles.

Thank you, I have just purchased the current edition of 'Britain at war' magazine and it has an item on the mk V tank including the one in Kharkov. As you stated these were provided to the White Russians in 1919, five or six still exist in Russia and about eleven in all survive.