Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hedjaz Armoured Car Battery

Back in January, I posted a request for information about my Great Grandfather, William McDonald. He served in 11th and 18th Hussars as a Cavalryman on the Western Front (Battle of Mons) and was then I believe transferred into the Machine Gun Corps. In 1918 he was serving in the above unit (which was under the control of T.E. Lawrence). Charles Messenger replied with some useful information and from that I was able to obtain a copy of the units war diary covering a large part of 1918. As well as making fascinating reading, I have found my GGF mentioned several times!

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of more information about this unit. In there an official history written anywhere or would there be any paperwork held by the PRO or Imperial War Museum that might list the soldiers and their activities in more detail?

Thanks..... :D

Although it is many years since I researched WW1 armoured cars in detail, I don't recollect coming across any other detailed reports on the Hedjaz Armoured Car Battery. There are mentions of them in T E Lawrence's own writings and there is the Rolls book, which I think I mentioned in my initial response.

I suggest you contact the Department of Documents at the IWM - they are very helpful. And trawl Procat the PRO search engine. The other possibility is the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset. David Fletcher, the Librarian, is very knowledgeable.

Charles M

From our work on the MGC History....

The Hedjaz Armoured Car Section (later Battery) formed May 17 with 3 Rolls ACs from 10 (RN) Armoured Motor Bty and then reinforced by 2 more from No 1 Bty Light AC Bde in Dec 17. Redesignated Bty when 2 more Rolls of 1 Bty arrived in Jun 18. Disbanded at Suez in Oct 18 and the rump reverted to 1 LACB.

10(Motor Section) RFA also served with Laurence. Formed Aug 17 in the LAC Bde in Egypt, 6 Talbot tenders & 2 Indian mountain guns portee. With Laurence from Nov 17, disbanded Nov 18.

Hope that points?

The Journal of the TE Lawrence Society Vol X No. 1 Autumn 2000 has an article "The 10 Pounder Motor Section RFA Hedjaz Operations" detailing the actions of the unit who used "six Talbot box cars of 20-30hp fitted with two 10 pounder Indian Mountain guns."

Don't know if this is of use to you, but I'd be glad to photocopy it if you think it is.

Cheers

Simon

Again thanks for all the information which is helping me build up a good background.

I am trying to find a copy of the S.C. Rolls book for sale but as yet no luck. I have also found that T.W. Beaumonts papers / memoirs are held at the IWM but I have yet to arrange a visit (its too big for them to copy for me without me seeing it first).

I am slightly puzzled as to why the war diary for the Hedjaz AC Section / Battery (WO 95/4415) only starts from April 1918 if the unit was formed in 1917. Is it possible I only have part of the complete diary?

I have certainly not come across any earlier war diary than Apr 1918. It may well be that because Lawrence was operating so much out on a limb that the unit was not ordered to keep a war diary until then.

Charles M

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys, Just trying to assist one of our folk on our Sideshows of the Great War Yahoo group with a number of answers.

Does anyone know if the Talbot tenders (less 10 pdr portees) had maxims mounted on the back? Also were the Talbots fitted with Lewis guns in the front passenger seat?

Does anyone have a photo of a closeup Talbot in the Hedjaz battery?

I've a photo of a T Model Ford LCP in the Hedjaz battery. Do we know if there were more than one car?

Really appreciate any assistance to these questions.

Best regards

Helen