Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pows In Ireland

Cockayne

My Grandfather (Pvt G Williamson) served with the 1 Battn North Staffs. In April 1918 he was wounded & captured. He was held in several POW camps ( Rastatt, Mannheim and Heuberg) in Germany. He was finally demoded in Nov 1919.

I interested in finding out what happened to Ex POWs after their release from the POW camps and why some soldiers were retained in the army until a year after WW1 ended.

I would like to know a little about the POW camps my Grandfather was held.

1st North Staffs were at Buttevant Co.Cork at the start of the war - perhaps they returned there after, and your grandfather was sent back to his unit??

Was he a regular?

Guest Pete Wood

I'm sure I've read that POW's had to be de-briefed, and make reports, following release from captivity. Food was in short supply in Germany, and even more scarce for POWs. So I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) prisoners needed extensive medical treatment and time to recuperate. Then there would have been the small question of (missed) leave entitlement....

I'm sure the forum will know more.

• 6 years later...

Slightly off topic. I am researching two Williamsons, C & 10679 Pte G Williamson Army Cyclist Corps. I have a postcard from Ypres from C to G dated 28 Nov 1915. Any chance they are related to your grandfather? I can find nothing else at all. The Army Cyclist Corps does not seem to have lasted long and I am assuming the members were re-numbered when they returned to their parent regiments.