Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are you doing?

Skipman

Frank Fraser Burns a new zealand machine gunner who died 5/12/17 just north of the Menin road killed with 4 others during the afternoon when his position was hit by a shell

regards John

Researching the 10th London Regiment. Primarily the 1/10th as my Great Grandad served with them and was KIA 19/4/17.

James

James, you had me confused for a minute :wacko:

I am researching the men, commemorated on the Aberfeldy Memorial. It's a very good way of learning about the Great War, and I have much to learn. I often wonder, when I see a post why do you want to know that?

Who or what are you researching, and why?

Cheers Mike

Mike

Researching my Great Uncle from New Zealand who was in the UK when war was decleared. Became an officer in the 3rd London Regiment and was eventually KIA at Epehy in Sept 1918. It has become very important for me to find out the circumstances of his death so I have obtained a copy of the Londons War diary for that period, maps, battle plans etc. I also received kind assistance from a member of this forum who took photographs of the area a few weeks ago.

I eventually intend to copy Google aerial photographs and overlay them in clear plastic with the maps & battle plans leading up to the day.

Currently waiting for information from the CWGC concerning where his body was first discovered. Still no response and its heading towards 2 months now.

The Forum is fantastic and I must admit to checking out the topics several times a day. Its a good thing that I am self employed !!!!

Tony

Researching for a book on family uncles killed in the War (see my signature) and generally trying to expand my education in order to help others understand what soldiering was all about. Yours, Antony.

Researching my R.E. men as usual. Currently it's Thomas Elmer Davies, a blacksmith from Port Talbot, Wales, who had a pretty active service from 1916-18 in the Welsh Regiment, Royal Artillery and finally in the Royal Engineers as a skilled switchboard operator for the 75th Division Signal Company as part of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force.

Planning my trip to Gallipoli and preparing a new talk on the CWGC. (Occasionally fitting in some proper work as well!)

Still researching Lt-General Snow and Major-General Forestier-Walker, along with minor research in to Generals of the Great War. My 21st division website has stagnated at the moment as I am undecided which way to go with it. I can do a full on line history or condense it down and do a potted type of website.

Given all that activity it will come as no surprise that I am actually getting no where fast. I need to decide on one project to move forward with and stick to it...ummh!

Regards

Arm

Looking for any information on the tank weeks held in 1917 and 1918 along with details of the presentation tanks of England and Wales that followed as a result thereof. I am helping the Friends of the Lincoln Tank group on this research as we plan a publication in the not too distant future.

Tanks3

I am researching the 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt., the men who served and the activities of the battalions (1/9th & 2/9th). This has now been expanded with a sub-theme to include the men who served in the Volunteer units which became the 9th on the formation of the Territorial Force in 1908.

So far, I have the outline of what could become a published battalion history, a 9th Bn database with over 5,000 men listed and a Volunteer database with about 3,000 men listed but with probably another 3,000 to add. Don't you just love stumbling across nominal rolls?

As with so many of us, I suspect, this type of research leads into a myriad of related study as we seek to put into context the lives of individuals involved, so I have, for example begun to read about the Anglo-Boer War after discovering a number of men of the 9th King's who had previous service in either the regular army in South Africa, or as members of the Volunteer Companies.

I don't know where I find the time to go to work, though.

Ken

i am a very small fish in this huge ocean of addiction ...

If I ever decide to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting I'll be stealing your line from you. :lol:

I have been fascinated by a rather splendid regimental photograph of " 7 & 8 Troop B Squadron 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment 1915" taken at Willems Barracks I believe. As my Grandfather's face stares back at me I wonder about the other fresh faced new recruits and the few corporals and sargents, all of whose names are printed on the photograph. I have a reasonably good account of my Grandfathers experiences as he survived the war, but what other stories does this image hold. Two cap badges adorn the framed photo, that of the 2nd Dragoon Queen's Bays and the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons although in the photo some of the Coporals and Sargents are wearing the 5th dragoon Guard badge.

The individual names are as follows:

Privates: Caryl, Saddler, Sheppard, Read, Fairbairn, Barnett, Fawcett, Lane, Harper, Edwards, Paget, Dawkins, Robson, Cornford, Cooper, Tucker, Short, Ellis, Rump, Vine, Rerrie, Bodkin, Gorbell, Barnes, Samuel, Baldry, Pottle, Dickinson, Haspell, Haddock, Mead, James, Dayas, Philips, Ringwood (my grandfather), Willis, Lewis.

Corporals: Brown, Burns, J.Jones, Seal, Morris, Moriarty

Sargents: Hyner, Hardy, Inglesby,

Officers: Lt Greaves, Lt Le Gros

The photograher, I think, was F Scovell of Queens Rd Aldershot.

I can't help wondering how many others in the photograph survived the war.

Nick

Skip

Researching the church memorial to the dead of Scawby in Lincolnshire, WW1/2 & other conflicts. All commemorated in the St. Hybalds C.E. Church, Scawby.

Also, the memorials of Caistor and Brigg, again both in Lincolnshire.

Then, continually updating the medals/mens records from my collection. In fact, the subjects for my work often do cross over, as I collect local medals.

Cheers,

Dick

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum

post this as a separate topic, in a suitable section like soldiers, preferably with the picture, and let our experts get to work on it. They love a challenge like this

cheers Martin B

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum

post this as a separate topic, in a suitable section like soldiers, preferably with the picture, and let our experts get to work on it. They love a challenge like this

cheers Martin B

Thanks Martin, I certainly will. It will be fascinating if I can discover more from this photograph. It has existed for nearly 100 years, am I the first person to wonder about the other faces in the photo.

Nick.

Bit oif a bug now started with 96 men on the Bablake Memorial, then the 264 men commemorated in the local park, then the 98 men on the Bablake memorial from ww2, then the city of coventry roll of the fallen ww2 2909 men women and children then last was the 3500 men from coventry who fell.

Current project Bedworth and the great war.

On going other projects 330 coventry men on the Thiepval memorial.

The ww1 photos of Rev Swallow.

63rd & 96th of Foot (The Manchester Regt) 1700s-1958.

Silver War Badges there are 296 volumes for the Army, up-to-date I'v done 206. ( plus, a Royal Navy merchant Navy, and some RAF).

Army Council instructions & Army orders (, covering most of the major War in the twentieth century).

Shot at down. Case files & service records.

Prisoners of War first and Second World Wars. ( Japanese PoW cards , working my way through the boxes slowly).

War pensions , including suicides, lunacy, etc,etc.

MH106, Medical sheets, self-inflicted wounds, gunshot wounds,Head wounds, etc,etc.

Army War Graves teams/ Grave Registration teams Boar war, WW1,WW2.

Military barracks.

Labour Corps, Pioneer Corps.

Royal Defence Corps.

General Monthly returns & Regimental strengths 1700s-1950s

Courts Martial Registers.

And lots more.

Hi,

current project is the fighting around Houthulst Forest during 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Cnock

Hi,

working on, and dreams of finishing (and amidst an increasingly time consuming day job still dreaming) a book on the 9th to 12th April 1917 at Arras. Fundamentally asking questions on lost opportunities, quality of planning and whether Haig's eyes and heart were never really focussed here but further north in 1917.

Jim

Hi.

I'm presently working on two articles. One, in English, is about the "highest battle of the Grat War" (Italian conquest and loss of Monte San Matteo, 3680 m, August-September 1918). I'm not yet decided where to have it published, but a couple of websites are interested at hosting it. The second, in Italian and a much shorter one, is for the "Archeologia della Grande Guerra" magazine. This is about my finding of a wooden plate which appears in wartime pictures. See posts 511-513 in the "Then and Now" thread.

The article in English will take a few more months to be completed: I can write only my spare time during weekends, and moreover English is not my mother tongue and writing costs me an additional effort...

Franz

My signature is my quest. Seems my dad knows nothing about his father's involvement except for the few things I've found and the great many things contributed through the Forum's knowledgeable members. A big thanks to you all as my parent's will receive all I have gleaned when they celebrate 50 years of marriage on November 11th.

Thanks again, especially Antony

shawn

I'm building up a database of the men (and women) whose names appear on the local War Memorials, (Freckleton, Kirkham, Wesham, Lytham and St Annes) and also of those that aren't mentioned.

Always willing to help, and not to proud to accept help.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently looking up Various RHA officers

MC

I'm transcribing the War Diaries of the 14 Anti Aircraft Sections that served in Salonika between 1916 and 1918. It began out of researching my Grandfather's service in 99th AAS but has expanded to looking at how and where the Sections were deployed and how they all fitted into the overall scheme. I'm not sure how to publish the information but I shall certainly be writing articles for the Salonika Campaign Society's New Mosquito magazine from it.

Keith

Everything that has to do with the Victoria Cross. Writing Dutch articles for several Dutch websites and a Dutch WW1 magazine, VC research, visiting VC monuments and graves of VC-recipients, trying to locate and visit Site of Actions where VC's were won and so on, and so on.

Well at the moment I am :-

1) Still compiling a complete list of men that served with the 1/6th, 2/6th and 3/6th Battn Sherwood Foresters; the recent release of service papers will add to that. Up to ~5000 at moment, with still some obvious gaps :huh:

2) Looking into the role of the British military in the Irish War of Independence in Tipperary (1920-22); gives me something to do when I visit the in-laws B)

3) Compiling a role and notes of the 2/51st men that fought at Waterloo; my grt grt grt g/father's regiment

Mike