Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Court Martial Testimony

SMG65

I attach a few lines of a witness testimony from a court martial.

Can anybody tell me what they think it says?

I read 'His brother is a wild sort of chap who has done ? ? ? ? ? ?

He once ?'

I have my own ideas as to what it says but that would put words into your mind.

Regards

Seanpost-3821-1255436299.jpg

It looks like "he once pimped", but surely not??

Roger

It looks like "he once pimped", but surely not??

Roger

It looks to me like 'His brother is a wild sort of chap who has done some mischief over most? of Leeds

He once Pimped (was this a term used in those days?)

It could be "He once jumped", part of an incomplete sentence which was clearly stricken from the record. Perhaps it was ruled inadmissable as hearsay?

Ron

Possibly - "all sorts of deeds" ???

Maricourt

Sorry didn't see it all!

Here is how I read it:

"Knocks about the race courses. His brother is a wild sort of chap, who has done some madcap sort of deeds. He once jumped, I have ...... [been told?]..........

Can you give us some more information?

Maricourt

I took jumped to have been "pimped" also at first but i don't think that term was in use.

Regardless it looks like it could be: "who has done some mischiev (hyphen?) ous sort of deeds. He once jumped I have heard.." It could be this was struck as it was deemed hearsay.

Thank you everyone.

I hadn't thought of 'miraculous' but I think it is the best suggestion.

I believe that it was scribbled out as the Court Martial Chairman would have decided it was irrelevant.

It was a long court martial and German Taube's interrupting didn't help.

I have the records of the court martial and there are a lot of witnesses.

It was the court martial of my Gt Uncle, Thomas Moore who was found guilty of murdering his Sergeant (who was his friend, he was actually wanting to shoot his Sgt Major)

He was executed on 26 February 1916 and was buried in a farmers field at Busseboom where he still lies.

I went to the spot last week and the farmer let me explore his farmyard (learning passable Dutch has its advantages).

The 1916 map shows three buildings at the farm and there are still three old buildings at the farm.

I like to think that the farm was Company HQ and the small ramshackle building that is now a store was where he was held, it is about 50 yards from where he was buried.

He was told of the sentence at 4.30am and was shot at 5.40am, he also made his peace with God and made a will within that time so he must have been shot nearby.

The company were told of the execution at 5.30am so I think they either witnessed it or were within hearing range it.

Hence my theory about the small building.

Before anybody thinks of taking a spade to Busseboom the grave reference is 50 x 50 yards.

His brother 'wild sort of chap' got through the war but I can't trace his records, I have a photo of him in a Scottish Regimental uniform but I think like his other brothers he used a false name. He was wounded and joined up again under a false name. Another uncle said that he was known as 'the mad arab' (dark skinned) and had metal plates in his body, he died in the 50's.

The father did more than 'knock about the race courses' and his mother was in an asylum.

Thomas Moore spent his childhood in a boys home in Stockton and had a tough upbringing.

Sean

It is surely "mischief" and "pimped". There are dots above the letters "I". Also the sentence does not make sense if it were 'jumped'.

He once jumped. = so what?

He once pimped. = he was that sort of bad chap!

A sorry tale indeed.

Before anybody thinks of taking a spade to Busseboom the grave reference is 50 x 50 yards.

Sean

Sean

Please don't take offence, but have you considered contacting "No Man's Land" the volunteer WW1 archaeological group who have done some excellent programmes called "Finding the Fallen" on The History Channel? They seem to excel where there is a human interest factor and this could be of real interest to them.

With the advances in Ground Penetrating Radar technology I doubt if 50 x 50yds would be a problem to them or any similar group. This it their site.

http://www.no-mans-land.info/

Alternatively there are Archaeology depts in most University's, you could contact them.

This maybe not a route your family would like to pursue but I though It'd be worth suggesting.

Sam