The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crowborough Camp Training Trenches

KAC

Hi!

Does anyone know the exact location of the WW1 training trenches behind Crowborough Army Camp in Kent. Understand they can still be seen but don't know the exact location and can't see them on any arial viewing sites.

Will be visiting Pooh-sticks-bridge which is in the area soon, hope to slip in a detour (if my family allow)!

Hi!

Does anyone know the exact location of the WW1 training trenches behind Crowborough Army Camp in Kent. Understand they can still be seen but don't know the exact location and can't see them on any arial viewing sites.

Will be visiting Pooh-sticks-bridge which is in the area soon, hope to slip in a detour (if my family allow)!

Crowborogh is in East Sussex not Kent......dont know if this helps searchers

I went to explore Crowborough camp many years ago, but couldn't find any trenches. Hope you are able to publish some more info on this in due course!

Will do a little more research first - I was told about them by a Cadet Instructor who was on camp there a few years back.

Search on web has produced the possible location near a Pub called the 'Cow and Gate'.

Two other locations are mentioned also, one of these has some trenches plotted on a map in detail.

Seems the place is covered in old Army Camps and excavations from both wars and before.

Pooh and Tiger must have had some fun!

:poppy:

Just come across this on Google Earth on the Defence of Britain overlay. This refers to 'Practice Trenches at Crowborough Camp'.

The Defence of Britain

Location: Old Bell House, Poundgate - in clump of trees and on surrounding ridge of heathland, NE of bridleway, Ashdown Forest.

Condition: Very Bad

Description: ____/__/__ Series of open and underground tunnels and chambers, excavated out of sandstone. Now collapsed or blocked for safety reasons [site is used for children's camps]. Tunnels and chambers approx. 6ft in height, with their roofs about 10ft below surface of ground. The total area occupied by the underground works may be in excess of 15 acres. Assumed to be a First World War training area for the Western Front [but may have a Second World War origin?].