Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interersting underwater archaelogical remains of WWI wrecks

John Gilinsky

I am curious if anyone would like to direct me or anyone else interested in viewing still or animated images of modern reconstructions, site renderings, photos, films, archaeologically done surveys, plans or diagrams of WWI wrecks of any kind. Can you please post the URLS or contact address information here for everyone? I am motivated to do this after viewing the shattered remains of that beautiful RN ship the HOOD. I know that divers frequently visit WWI wrecks (eg. Jutland Battle, sunken German subs on coasts and in English Channel,etc...).

John

Toronto

Hi John;

I posted a link in August on this Forum detailing an article and video done in 2005 on HMS Triumph and HMS Goliath (both sunk in the Dardanelles campaign in 1915)

I have subsequently searched that site a little more thoroughly and thought that Forum members may enjoy a video link on a Canadian diving group's explorations of these two wrecks as well as others around the globe.

Link Below:

http://www.shipwreckcentral.com/map/index.php?search=1

If you know the name of the wreck then just type it in

George

Hi John,

have photos & have book given to me from the chaps that found SMS Prinz Adalbert. She is broken in two, and upside down.

Their site is DEEP SEA PRODUCTIONS, and punch in S.M.S. Prinz Adalbert. Unfortunatley not much interest on this forum in relation to Eastern Front issues as i know you have a good interest, so hope this is helpful to you.

DB

Hi John

Diver Magazine, published in the UK, does regular features called 'Wreck Tour', where a professional diver/journalist has dived wrecks, many of WW1 vintage, photographed and drawn them and reproduced his images, with the relevant write-up, in the magazine. It is a monthly production and i think if you visit their website you'll be able to see past copies.

Dave W

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to respond with specifics:

Grant - website URL

Dave W. - Diver Magazine (UK) and googling for its website

Darren B. - Prinz Adalbert via Deep Sea Productions and their website - [ interestingly if you check out Swedish underwater archaeology there are neat photos of a Russian minelayer sunk in 1915 or 1916 in the Baltic ]

George - shipwreckcentral URL

John

Toronto