Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bicycle fotos

dutchbarge

Does anyone have any fotos of German bicycles? I've got the few in Somer's book, but would like some shots that show the center pull brake to better effect. Does anyone have a list of WW1 vintage German army/civilian bicycle maunfacturers? I'm given to understand that many bikes used by the Army were civilian bikes, some painted feldgrau, some not.

Cheers, Bill

Hi,

I understand You are only looking for close up pics?

Regards,

Cnock

Hi,

I understand You are only looking for close up pics?

Regards,

Cnock

Hello Cnock,

I am interested in acertaining whether or not bicycles used by the German Army were standard civilian bicycles complete with maker's marque plaque mounted below the handlebars, or were stripped of all civilian markings and painted feldgrau. I believe a combination of the two to be true, but have not seen any fotos of German cyclists from which I could make a determination. Any close up fotos which show a maker's marque plaque would be very helpful.

Cheers, BIll

Hi Bill,

I have one from a contemporary journal in Belgium, unfortunately the cyclist's rolled up cape is slung from the front handlebars, obscuring the braking mechanism. It looks like an ordinary bike to me. I have scanned the photo but am having difficulty uploading it, if I don't manage it within 24 hours I'll e-mail it to you if you let me have the address (by PM).

Hi,

Last pic is certainly a Belgian civilian model, 'borrowed' by the German army

Regards,

Cnock

Hi,

Last pic is certainly a Belgian civilian model, 'borrowed' by the German army

Regards,

Cnock

Hello Cnock,

In the 10 years my wife and I owned a tjalk (winter moored in Oude Wetering) we used vintage 1930 Dutch opu fiets to get around. They were serviceable but very heavy. On day a German fellow I was talking to while moored in Verdun asked me how I liked my old Dutch bicycle. I told him it was fine except for the weight. He asked me if I knew why they were so very heavy and when I told them I didn't he smiled and replied that because the Dutch wanted to make the Germans sweat next time they took all their bicycles back to Germany with them.

Cheers, Bill

Thanks Gary,

A great shot which, together with your close-ups, is exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers, BIll

Thanks Fritz, Great shot!

Cheers, BIll

Hi Bill,

I have one from a contemporary journal in Belgium, unfortunately the cyclist's rolled up cape is slung from the front handlebars, obscuring the braking mechanism. It looks like an ordinary bike to me. I have scanned the photo but am having difficulty uploading it, if I don't manage it within 24 hours I'll e-mail it to you if you let me have the address (by PM).

Thanks Steve. I've had trouble loading pics myself. Gary's foto is what I was looking for so you don't need to spend anymore time on it. If you do get it though, it would be great to see.

Cheers, Bill

Coincidentally I bought this recently.

I am still waiting for it to arrive and when it does will scan in high res. if it would be helpful.

This was the auction pic.

Chris

post-14525-1255470284.jpg

Coincidentally I bought this recently.

I am still waiting for it to arrive and when it does will scan in high res. if it would be helpful.

This was the auction pic.

Chris

Hello Chris,

It would be VERY helpful!

Thanks, Bill

A little late but hopefully of some interest.

Matt

Yes, definately of interest. Thanks Matt.

Cheers, Bill

Bill,

Your interesting thread prompted me to start a more general one on bikes on the Western Front (in that section of the Forum).

It has also generated lots of interesting photos. I am only posting this in case you haven't noticed it as I am sure you would find it of interest.