Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Plugstreet' Wood

Petroc

Dear all,

For next year's battlefield trip I intend to take the gang to the 'Plugstreet' sector. Having only briefly visited the wood and area before, the idea is to spend a whole day walking the sector to try and get a real feel for the place. I thought I'd beef the thing up with mention of some of the famous names who served in the Plugstreet area during the war but seem to have mislaid my book on the sector (Tony Spagnoly)...

Off the top of my head I recall that rugby international Poulton-Palmer, cartoonist and artist Bairnsfather and future UK Prime Minister Anthony Eden served there.....and for some reason the names Winston Churchill and Henry Williamson also spring to mind. I might well be wrong, but could any members add to/correct this list?

Andy

Spaggers book is an excellent title to take with you.

Henry Williamson was in and around the wood for some months from November 1914 to early '15 with the London Rifle Brigade. Churchwill was there much later with 6th Royal Scots Fusiliers, but in the area south of the wood.

Don't forget Roland Leighton there in 1915, as well.

As far as books are concerned - there is also the brand new "Digging Up Plugstreet" by Martin Brown and Richard Osgood - and (shameless plug alert) Martin is giving a talk on the subject at the Conference next March

Alan

If in season the little cafe opposite the Plugstreet memorial does the most wonderful mussels. Highly recommended.SG