Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

K.S.L.I. on the Aisne

Annette Burgoyne

I am researching the 1st K.S.L.I. and need help with a little bit of a puzzle.

According to the Buffs History by R.S.H. Moody, the 1st Buffs went into the line at 2.30 a.m. on the 21st September 1914 (at Rouge Maison, a mile or so N-E of Vailly), the History goes on to record how the Germans were standing fast and some other details including that the 1st Buffs were on the left of the brigade line and that on the right was an improvised sub-section of defence consisting of the Norfolk Regt. and K.S.L.I.. It goes on to record that the 1st Buffs were attacked at 8 p.m., which I had presumed was on the 21st, as it gives on date BUT after comparing the above with the 1st K.S.L.I.’s War Diary I am not sure of this date. The K.S.L.I.’s diary records that they relieved the Wilkshires from the front line at 5 a.m. on the 22nd and that “A” and “B” Coys, who held a thick wood, handed over their positions to the Norfolks at 6 a.m. on the 23rd.

If anyone as got the war Diaries of the 1st Buffs and 1st Norfolk, do they contain any details to help clarify the above. Before anyone says that these diaries are held at the PRO, I am sorry to say that I do not have the time (what with work and kids etc.) to visit Kew.

Also I would like to know the exact position of the K.S.L.I., Now I know the following information from the Official History - the 1st Wiltshires held a spur about a quarter of a mile east of St. Précord (Vailly) but the Wilkshires were attacked on the 21st Sept. and to cut a long story short, the 2/South Staffordshire of the 6th Brigade were sent mid-way between Chavonne and Vailly and began to work northward up the valley against the enemy's left flank. The Germans, falling back a little, then tried to entrench themselves upon two bare knolls but were driven off them by shrapnel; and about 4 p.m. about two hundred men of the Wiltshire, Worcestershire and South Lancashire advanced, and after sharp fighting drove the enemy back to his own lines. But the Official History does not record whether the above named battalions then stayed where they were or returned to the original line ?

So if anyone as the following diaries, do they record their positions at the end of the 21st September, 1914.

1st Wiltshire

2/South Lancashire

3/Worcestershire

2/South Staffordshire

Regards

Annette Burgoyne

Anette

This is the entry for that date for the 1st Wiltshires:

1st Wiltshire Monday 21st September 1914 France, [Vailly]

(Monday) Endeavoured to make position more difficult of entry. Shelled. Got 2 new machine guns in place those lost on August 26th near LE CATEAU. 4th Bde on our right attacked about 6p.m. An attempt to draw our fire by the enemy firing at long range from his trenches was made at 7p.m. and was successful from enemy's point of view as an almost continuous fusillade went on throughout the night in some parts of the line. This wild firing at night badly wants checking and discouraging.

Also the previous day:

1st Wiltshire, Sunday 20th September 1914, France, Vailly

(Sunday) Third reinforcement of about 90 rank and file under 2nd Lieut Gaskell arrived, and posted to companies. Enemy engaged some of our front trenches between 8 and 9a.m. and shelled us 11 to 12 noon. A party of enemy estimated at 200 with machine guns got through some dense wood in the line and rushing on got on flank of the rear of trenches held by Worcester Regt., and this broke the line at this point. Enemy pushed on and seriously threatened the right of our position, but, eventually stopped within 50 and 100 yards of our position, (as it was then). During this time a lot a close fighting took place. One of our guns on our right now shelled the wood held by the enemy with very good effect. Enemy fell back a little and started entrenching themselves on two commanding and almost bare knolls which they had gained. Our gun again shelled them out of this. While all this was happening C B & D Coys from W to E on the high ground above held their position, but were engaged with parties of the enemy sent to try and work round their rear. At 5p.m. a general advance ordered with all troops on right (about 200 men of Wiltshire, Worcesters, South Lancs Regt) at 5.45p.m. we regained our former line, and, connected with the Companies on our left. Enemy retired leaving many dead and wounded. In this fight the Battn had Lieut Col Hasted Commanding wounded. Capt Reynolds & Lieut Cruikshank killed, wounded or missing. Major J Roche was now ordered to take Command of the Battn and also of the right section of the area held by the 7th Inf Bde in which were also 1 Coy Worcester Regt and 1 Coy S Lancs Regt. This section was reinforced this night by four Machine guns. 2 of the 12th Lancers and 2 of the 19th Hussars. No further attack this night, informed that the Bde would be relieved by another within next 26 hours. (For account of this see my report sent in to Bde on 23rd Sept a duplicate of is in correspondence book. TR (2nd Lieut Roseveare died of his wounds same evening).

And the following day:

1st Wiltshire, Tuesday 22nd September 1914, France, [braine]

(Tuesday) Shropshire LI 16th Bde 6 Division arrived at 4a.m. and took over part of right Section relieving C and B Coys before daylight. Remainder of 7th Inf Bde and H Q withdrew during early morning to BRAINE and thereabouts. Wilts Regt and 1 Coy S Lancs ordered to stand fast in their position till relieved following night by Norfolk Regt. Movement across the pontoon bridge at VAILLY being only possible at night. We now came temporarily under the Command of the G O C 16th Inf Bde: Norfolks arrived at 9p.m. took over remaining Section of the line. Usual night firing took place just as they were relieving us. Assembled Battn at 12p.m. marched off for VAILLY where we picked up our first line transport. Crossed the AISNE and reached BRAINE at 12.30a.m. on 23rd Sept where we went into billets having been nine (9) days in this position N of the river where the hardships were considerable.

Hope this is of some help?

Mark

PS The Wiltshires had crossed the Aisne and taken up their position, "The Battn crossed by the broken bridge and got on the hill NE of St PRECORD, N of VAILLY", on the 14th Sept.

Annette,

An extract from the diary of Brev.-Major / Captain J.L. Dent of the 2nd South Staffs may be of interest;

MONDAY 21st SEPTEMBER (1914)

Soupir is a quaint little country village, dominated by a very fine Chateau, the property of the first wife of M. Calmette. We inspected the beautiful grounds of the Chateau, and thought of the woman who had given such dramatic evidence in the trial which had thrilled Paris such a short time ago; a trial producing revelations which in ordinary times would have shaken the French political world to its very foundations, but which vanished quickly into oblivion before the rapid march of international events and the gathering of the war cloud which burst and flooded Europe with such dramatic suddenness.

The Chateau was used by the Brigade Headquarters by the Guards brigade, and on a subsequent occasion by our own Brigade. The Headquarter Staff, I am told, in moments of relaxation, amused themselves by fishing for the tame carp in the ornamental lake. One officer was thus engaged a shell fell into the water, killing more fish than he could have caught in a month of Sundays.

The village church lay next to the Chateau, and was for some time used as a hospital; the most seriously wounded lying on straw. The Padre of the village stuck manfully to his post, and read the burial service over those who were put to rest in the churchyard.

Soupir was frequently shelled owing to the proximity of several of our batteries, and aeroplanes were perpetually travelling overhead signalling results with balls of coloured lights.

Very few of the inhabitants remained in the village and all able-bodied men were viewed with suspicion. It was not long before we discovered the extraordinary efficiency of the German espionage system; they invariably left civilian spies in every village in communication with them by telephone, and we were always coming across wire connected with cellars.

Owing to the slope of the ground, Soupir did not suffer so severely from shell fire as Moussy, and most of the houses remained intact until we left. The few inhabitants who remained behind were very short of food, and were very glad of the bully and biscuits which ‘Tommy’ in his generosity freely offered. It is true that the local baker carried on his trade, but he was unable to satisfy the demands of civil population and troops. The issue of bread was carefully regulated according to the needs of each household.

While ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies had been out fighting at Chavonne the day before, the other two companies were sent into the trenches North of Soupir to relive the Irish Guards. At 12 o’clock on this day ‘A’ and ‘B’ Companies were sent to take over from ‘C’ and ‘D’. The trenches ran along the edge of the woods north of Soupir, below the crest line of the plateau, and having a field of fire of at most 300 and sometimes as little as 150. The German trenches were behind the crest line to our front, but to the right were in front of it and could be seen. The advantage by night in the position of our trenches lay in the fact that the enemy would be silhouetted against the skyline in advancing to attack. The ground immediately behind the trenches fell steeply, allowing the troops to come right up under cover from view and rifle fire. There were numerous footpaths through the woods and two main tracks from Soupir. It was easy for troops to move up the tracks by day concealed from aeroplanes, but most of the movement and all the issuing of supplies was carried out at night, owing to the fact that the Germans had the unpleasant habit of searching the woods with heavy howitzer fire. As we walked through the woods to the trenches we passed craters of immense size made by the shells, and huge trees torn up in the process. The trees all round the craters were splintered with portions of shell. We noticed that most of the splinter shells were over three feet from the ground, and made a note of the necessity of lying absolutely flat when hearing the approach of a shell. The ‘Black Marias’ fired from a distance, gave us ample warning, and we soon acquired the art of telling by the note of a shell as it sang through the air where it was coming. A shell making the noise of a stopping motor car is dangerous. The trenches were dug into a bank at the edge of the wood, and were provided with loop-holed head cover. They were well constructed and hollowed out underneath in front to form an efficient splinter-proof to crawl into for cover when the shelling commenced. A path through the wood immediately behind the trenches afforded lateral communications. It seemed strange to take up position with so small a field of fire, contrary to the teaching of the text books, but we soon found the value of siteing trenches on the reverse slope. With modern artillery fire it was found that any position which allowed the direct observation by hostile batteries soon became untenable, and it is more important to obtain concealment from artillery the field fire.

With the enemy so close at hand, we had bayonets fixed at all times; one man in every eight was on sentry or look-out by day and one in four by night.

In the evening Captain Savage received an order to send out a patrol to the front, and Lance-Corpl. Watkins took out four men. They proceeded until they could hear the Germans talking, and were discovered and opened fire on the enemy. Corpl. Watkins came in with his patrol and, finding one man missing, went out again, found him wounded and carried him in. For this plucky act he was mentioned in despatches.

A few Germans were moving on the sky-line during the night, and we opened fire occasionally. Otherwise the night was devoid of incident.

TUESDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER:

Early in the morning 2nd Lieut. A.A.E. Gyde of ‘B’ Company, was shot by a sniper in the head, and the sniping continued. At about 7 o’clock the North Staffordshire Regiment, who had only just arrived at the front with the 6th Division, came up to relive us. The advent of the 6th made it possible for some of the troops who had had no rest to be taken out of the firing line for a while, and we learnt to our great delight that we were to move back to Bourg for a refit.

Avoiding the dangerous ground between Soupir and Moussy, we went a long way round, crossing the river at Chavonne and marching the other side of it through our old friend Viel d’ Arch, where a hospital had been equipped, and finally arrived at Bourg. There we found that ‘C’ and ‘D’ Companies had already settled down into billets, and we hastened to follow their example.

Bourg was in range of the big German guns, but up to this time had not been touched, and we were in comparative safety the whole time we were there.

The officers of ‘A’, with their usual luck, found a splendid billet in a nicely furnished house owned by a buxom widow, who had previously had German officers billeted upon her. She was an excellent cook and a woman of great strength of character, amusing us very much with tales of how she thwarted the Germans attempts to loot her house. The men were very comfortable in barns.

Roy

Hi Mark

Thanks alot for info. from 1st Wiltshires diary. I made a mistake in my post by putting that they were attack on the 21st instead of 20th.

I note that the Wiltshires record 4 a.m. and K.S.L.I. records 5 a.m. but I have come across such differences many times.

That is one part of the puzzle sorted

Thanks again for you time and effort

Annette

Hi Roy

Thanks alot for your info. from Brev.-Major / Captain J.L. Dent of the 2nd South Staffs. Yet another part of the puzzle filled in but I made a mistake in my first post, like I said in the post to Mark, the 1st Wiltshires were attacked on the 20th. Do you by chance have Brev.-Major / Captain J.L. Dent entry for the 20th.

Many Thanks again

Annette

Annette, my typing finger does not like you!

Further to my earlier post, here is the entry for the 20th;

SUNDAY 2Oth SEPTEMBER

In the morning we were still in billets, but at about 2pm a message came through that the Wiltshires had been driven out of their trenches at Chavonne and that two Companies were required to proceed there at once.

On our arrival the Wiltshire’s trenches were found to be empty, and the Germans could be seen in a wood close to them.

‘A’ Company was the first to move forward, and we very soon came under machine gun fire. Fortunately there was a sunken road at hand, and we managed to escape loss, the bullets hitting the bank behind us.

Two squadrons of cavalry were occupying the interval between the Guards Brigade and the evacuated Wiltshire’s trenches, and Savage obtained all the information he could from the officer in charge. He then proceeded to make a reconnaissance, and found a covered way by which he advanced two platoons close up to the wood where the Germans were. A volunteer was called for to take a message to the Wiltshire’s explaining the situation and asking them to make an advance simultaneously with ‘A’ Company. Pte. Mutlow took the message, running great risk in doing so. As a result, an advance was made, supported by very accurate artillery fire from Chavonne, and the Germans were driven back. The Wiltshire’s reoccupied their trenches and the Battalion was withdrawn again to Soupir.

For this work Captain Savage was mentioned in despatches, and Pte. Mutlow received the DCM. The Battalion was thanked by the General Officer Commanding 7th Brigade and by our own Divisional General. Lord Cavan, commanding the 4th (Guards) Brigade, sent the following message to Lieut.-Colonel C.S. Davidson:-

“To O.C. 2/S. Staffs.

I cannot let you leave the 4th Brigade without expressing my sincere thanks and warm admiration. I only hope the 4th Brigade may have a chance of rendering you the same splendid assistance you have given us.

Cavan B/’Gen”

Hi Roy

Sorry about your typing finger but I am very greatful to you for taking the time and effort. I will be going through the info. that you and Mark have posted at the weekend and try to plot positions and movements on a map of the area (the map is not that good, as it is only a 1:80,000 but it will give me some idea).

Mark at the bottem of your post you mention that the Wiltshires had crossed the Aisne and taken up their position, on the hill NE of St PRECORD, on the 14th Sept. Do you know if their right flank rested on the Vailly-Ostel road ?

Thanks

Annette

Annette,

Only too pleased to help. If you need any other entries let me know.

Roy

Hi Annette

The only other direct entry that could help pinpoint their position is:

"Enemy seen entrenching a position 2000 yards to our NE in front of position held by 4th Inf. Bde. Guards on our right pushed forward a patrol at night to draw the enemy's fire from about FOLEMPRISE Farm." This was on Wednesday the 16th.

Some other references are that on the 14th, the Royal Irish Rifles extended their Line to the West (their left), on the 15th, the Worcesters moved up in support and on the 16th the 2nd Cav. Bgd. moved up on their left to link them with the 4th Bgd. 2nd Div. on the right.

Hope this helps.

Right I'm off to soak my poor typing finger in a hot bath! :blink:;)

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for that extra info. and sorry about your typing finger, hope it as now recovered. By the way, I can use two at the same time after about six years of practice and when I have had a glass or two of wine then I can use four or five at the same time but next morning I find it hard to make out what I've typed.

Again many thanks for your time and effort.

Annette