The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkshire Yeomanry RQMS or not?

AndrewFrench

The attached photograph shows three 1/1st Berks Yeo WOs / Sgts in Libyan Desert in the spring of 1916.

Could any of you experts out there identify the badge on the lower left arm of the right hand man?

It comprises four inverted chevrons surmounted by a circle and an unidentified shape over that. If was the RQMS would it not have a crown above the chevrons ?

Andrew

post-7967-1255344899.jpg

post-7967-1255345002.jpg

It actually appears to be a crown above "whatever" above the four inverted chevrons. Sadly too poor a photo to come to a definate decision.

The attached photograph shows three 1/1st Berks Yeo WOs / Sgts in Libyan Desert in the spring of 1916.

Could any of you experts out there identify the badge on the lower left arm of the right hand man?

It comprises four inverted chevrons surmounted by a circle and an unidentified shape over that. If was the RQMS would it not have a crown above the chevrons ?

Andrew

Thanks for that Graham.

I should have thought of that. The man I think this (JH Roberts 1303) is described in the birth certificate of his son in August 1917 at "RQMS Berkshire Yeomanry" and trade as mechanical engineer. Could the wheel inidicate WO ic Transport Scttion of the regiment or an artificer perhaps

The original photo is poor in itself but I will rescan it tommorrow when at the Berkshire YEomanry Museum.

regards

Andrew

Thanks for that Graham.

I should have thought of that. The man I think this (JH Roberts 1303) is described in the birth certificate of his son in August 1917 at "RQMS Berkshire Yeomanry" and trade as mechanical engineer. Could the wheel inidicate WO ic Transport Scttion of the regiment or an artificer perhaps

The original photo is poor in itself but I will rescan it tommorrow when at the Berkshire YEomanry Museum.

regards

Andrew

Here is the highest quality scan I could get. Definetely 4 chevons with wheel/circle and crown above

post-7967-1255509120.jpg

By the spring of 1916 [in fact, a year earlier] the RQMS had become a WO Class 2, up from a Quartermaster Sergeant [this latter was a rank and not an appointment, believe me] and the 4 chevron badges remained only for Drum Majors and some Household Cavalry.

This may be an example of old habits die hard.

In 1914 and early 1915 the RQMS would/should wear the four chevrons with an eight-point star above, and no crown.

In 1916 he should wear a crown only. In 1918, another change, to crown in wreath.

Bit of a minefield.

By the spring of 1916 [in fact, a year earlier] the RQMS had become a WO Class 2, up from a Quartermaster Sergeant [this latter was a rank and not an appointment, believe me] and the 4 chevron badges remained only for Drum Majors and some Household Cavalry.

This may be an example of old habits die hard.

In 1914 and early 1915 the RQMS would/should wear the four chevrons with an eight-point star above, and no crown.

In 1916 he should wear a crown only. In 1918, another change, to crown in wreath.

Bit of a minefield.

Dear Grumpy

Thanks for that. Without better evidence I can only surmise that this is the RHQ Transport Serjeant with an acting rank of WO2

regards

Andrew