Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory medal

high wood

I picked up this burnt and battered Victory medal from the boot sale this morning. Could someone please upload his Medal Index Card for me please as I would like to know if he was entitled to a 1914/15 Star trio? 69944 Sapper E Cox. Royal Engineers. Thank you.

post-6480-1255273105.jpg

post-6480-1255273152.jpg

"entitled to a 1914/15 Star trio"

Certainly was -

Nothing on the back.

John

post-38480-1255273743.jpg

I have two others in this condition that I have bought over the years. One to a Robert Gernat of the London Rifle Brigade who fought at Gommecourt in 1916. I feel that they need saving as they have obviously not been looked after. For some strange reason it always seems to be Victory medals that get into this condition.

I think it is because brass corodes better than silver . I will take some pics of my worst examples . I also feel sorry for them and cant leave them to rot.

Certainly was -

Nothing on the back.

The medal roll might give details of his unit.

I think it is because brass corodes better than silver . I will take some pics of my worst examples . I also feel sorry for them and cant leave them to rot.

Victory medals, like the 1914 Star and 14/15 Star are made of bronze, not brass ;)

I always marvel at how good the condition of some of the medals I find, but that is probably the worst nick medal I have come accross.

It is a wonder that you can read the stampings to get the ID of the man -_-

A while ago I picked up a 10/Lincs 3-digit number 'Original Grimsby Chum', First Day of the Somme casualty, BWM that looked like someone had taken a hammer to it, dragged it along a wall and knocked chunks out of it. I very nearly did not bother buying it, but it was up for a song and it was right, original and the only one. So, I had it.

I can understand the state of your VM, if it were lost, but this BWM I found was in someones toy box for years.

Doesn't it make you wonder where some of these little bits of metal end up <_<

Dick

The Victories do seem to suffer I have one that has been stabbed several times. The BWM, being silver was often made into broaches or simply melted down.

Well done for saving it.

Actually bronze is far stronger and more corrosion resistant than brass, but as high wood says, this one appears to have been burnt.