Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 NZEF Employment Coy

(nzef)

Hi All,

Yesterday I popped down to Mons to take photographs of the two NZEF headstones in the communual cemetery.

Both men died of disease in early 1919 and according to their headstones were members of the NZ Empoyment Coy. This unit is a new one on me!

A quick google didnt turn up too much information. Does anyone have any detailed info?

Cheers

In June 1917 a New Zealand Area Employment Company and a Divisional employment Company were formed from PB men.

The Divisional Company being used at the Divisional HQ.

Regards

Ivor

I am interested to know any details on New Zealanders in early 1919 so am tracking this thread.

Please excuse my ignorance, Ivor. What does 'PB' stand for? And do you know what these companies might have been doing in early 1919?

Many thanks,

Joanna

Joanna

PB is Permanent Base - men unfit for front line service but fit enough to remain in France.

No 2 Company appears to have been in existence until March 1918 although the only War Diary I have found (WO 95/1039) only covers July to December 1917.

Regards

Ivor

Many thanks, Ivor.

'Permanent Base' also implies (to me) that they remained in one place?

But 1919 seems quite difficult to research, and the very few NZ war diaries I have seen at Kew for post Armistice naturally tend to be summaries of movements and activities. Perhaps there is more in New Zealand.

Joanna

Joanna

Permanent Base does not mean they stayed in one place.

Just the opposite - they tendd to be used wherever needed in the back areas and on the Lines of Communication. They were used, for example, to guard PoWs.

You are quite correct about 1919 - it does tend to be neglected in War Diaries.

Perhaps one day I will win the lottery (ha ha) and be able to follow up all the research I want to undertake in South Africa, Fiji, Australia and New Zealand!

Regards

Ivor

Thanks again, Ivor,

That's one of the things I love about this forum - there's always someone to answer a question you didn't even know you were going to ask 24 hours previously.

If the lottery doesn't come through for you (indeed ha ha), how about a round-the-world ticket? Cheaper and flexible. You would need one for all those places...

Joanna

{9FC0CF32-4556-471F-84C7-CE3BBD35321D}.j,

here's one that I found in a Leeds Cemetery.

Cheers Roger.

here's one that I found in a Leeds Cemetery.

Cheers Roger.

Good photo Roger as it clearly shows his number. Looks like the Nominal Roll CD is incorrect.

Surname BANKS

Given Name Harold Kirby

Category British Section NZEF

Regimental Number 15/90B

Rank Private

Unit or Regiment Divisional HQ

Next of Kin Title Mrs R M

Next of Kin Surname BANKS

Next of Kin Address C/o Mrs Somerset Raglan Auckland NZ

Occupation Agent

His file has been digitised and can be downloaded from Archway.

Archway

Hi there Kooky,

I will have a full look at the file when I get back from Amsterdam on Friday, nominal role is both right and wrong, as regards his marital status now that is something else.

You might notice that some of the forum members are going around Britain planting the New Zealand version of the remembrance poppy on behalf of the New Zealand Army Museum, and thats how I came across this one its only 4 miles from my house.

Cheers Roger.

Interesting information on the Employment Coy - Cheers

As a side note I went to Tournai Communal Cemetery today and took a picture of the lone New Zealanders headstone there also.

If anyone is after images of Headstones in Belgium cemeteries feel free to PM your request.

Cheers