Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the fallen of lanarkshire

weejoe

I have just registered with the forum, I am the author of over 30 memorial books to the fallen of Lanarkshire,which I would like to share with anyone interested in this information which is availlible with no charge.

Hello,

I have been researching the war memorial in Strathaven for a number of years, do you have any info on the men from there? :D

Hi,

Anything on this chap;

Pte John Tonner S/2158 7th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders DOW 28/10/1915

Son of Mr. and Mrs. James Tonner, of 50, Howieshill Rd., Cambuslang, Glasgow.

His dad James Tonner was a prominent citizen in Lanarkshire.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles,

There is a report of John Tonners death in the Glasgow Evening Times 2nd of November 1915 page three. It is likely that there will be a photo along with the report. I suggest you contact the Evening times about a copy of the page, you will get their address on the internet. If you want me to try and find his military details let me know.

weejoe

Hi hillgorrilla,

Strathaven is one of the war memorials I have not done yet. I will ask around some of my fellow researchers to see if there is anything availlible, will be in touch.

weejoe

Hi Charles,

There is a report of John Tonners death in the Glasgow Evening Times 2nd of November 1915 page three. It is likely that there will be a photo along with the report. I suggest you contact the Evening times about a copy of the page, you will get their address on the internet. If you want me to try and find his military details let me know.

weejoe

It's more than just "likely" that it will have a photo, The Evening Times Roll of Honour list published by the Mitchell Library confirms it.

It is unlikely that the Evening Times themselves will be able to help. I would instead contact the Mitchell Library in Glasgow who possess a complete run of the newspaper. Contact details here:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Lib...ollofhonour.htm

Thanks David, my old legs are not what they used to be and the walk from Buchanan bus station is not as easy as it used to be.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I would like to take you up on your generous offer - Do you have any information on any of the five soldiers below - all of whom were from Carluke and are commemorated on the memorial in the churchyard:

Pte James Gilchrist, Machine Gun Corps [155353] (previously Scottish Rifles [39390]

- died 23 August 1918, aged 19 [son of James Gilchrist, Douglas Street, Carluke]

Pte John Gilchrist, 12th Bn Highland Light Infantry [17612]

- died 3 October 1915 [ Son of Robert and Mary Gilchrist, Mount Pleasant, Carluke]

Sapper Robert Gilchrist, 103 Field Company, Royal Engineers [63866]

- died 31 August 1918 [brother of John above]

Sapper John Gilchrist, 160 Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers [151270]

- died 12 March 1916, aged 21 [son of Mr & Mrs John Gilchrist, Carnwath Rd, Carluke]

Cpl George Gilchrist, Scots Guards [14193]

- died 4 November 1917, aged 25, at home.

Anything you may be able to provide is appreciated!

Best wishes

Brian

G Gilchrist's grave is online as part of the Scottish War Graves Project here.

None of the others seem to be named on family gravestones in Carluke area.

The Carluke war memorial is online as part of the Scottish War Memorials project here

James Gilchrist appears on a Roll of Honour of unknown origin which you can see here If you anyone can identify the origin of this roll of honour, we would be very grateful

There are many Gilchrists listed on St John's United Free Church Roll of Honour which you can see here

\Spoons

Hi Spoons,

Thanks for info and link to the RoH listing James. I had seen the St John's one before, but at this stage, I'm still trying to work out who the Gilchrists listed on it are. A relation of mine was a Church Officer in Carluke in the early 1900s, but I'm not sure if it was at St John's.

I was also intrigued as to who Miss Bella Muncie was, as there does not seem to be anyone else without a rank listed.

Best wishes

Brian

She is not listed on CWGC or SNWM. One possibility is that she was VAD and died other than as a direct result of enemy action, e.g. of illness.

\Spoons

Hi Joseph,

When I was looking for information for someone else today I came across a report on S/2158 Pte. John Tonner Seaforth Highlanders 7th Battalion in the book "Lanarkshire Men at The Battle of Loos"

"John died of wounds on Thursday 28th October 1915. He was 26 years of age and was part of 26th Brigade 9th Scottish Division. John was born in Flemington and enlisted at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, son of Mr and Mrs James Tonner of 50, Howieshill Road, Cambuslang. Pte. Tonner is interred in -

LINCOLN (NEWPORT) CEMETERY, Lincolnshire, England Grave D114.

When I contacted you I thought I knew the name John Tonner but forgot I had found his details when I compiled the Lanarkshire men at the Battle of Loos in 2005.

Joe (weejoe)

Hi Rockford,

I have details about the Gilchrists plus photos. email your postal address and I will send the information as quickly as I can. regards

Joe (weejoe)

Hi,

I just wanted to note my thanks to Joe publicly on the forum for the information I have received from him regarding all five Gilchrist soldiers I listed.

Best wishes

Brian

• 4 months later...

James Weir Elder

Acting Sergeant James Elder (Service no. 302915) served with the 1st/7th Battalion, Territorial Force, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), 156th Brigade, 52nd (Lowland) Division.

James was born in Carnwath, a small village near Wishaw, Lanarkshire. Before the war a large number of steelworkers from this area moved into the district, including James. He resided with his wife and two young children at 13 Oak Avenue, Cadishead and was employed at the Steelworks.

He enlisted at Wishaw, Lanarkshire into the Highland Light Infantry as Private 7323, and was later promoted to Corporal. He disembarked at Gallipoli on 3rd September 1915, as part of a reinforcement draft to one of the Highland Light Infantry Territorial battalions serving on the peninsula. He was later transferred to the 1st/7th Royal Scots serving in the Middle East.

James was killed in action on Monday, 12th November 1917 during an attack on Turkish forces at the village of Burkah, Palestine. He is buried in Gaza War Cemetery, Israel. James had seen service in Gallipoli, Egypt and Palestine. Medal Entitlement: 15 Star Trio.

James O’Neill

Private James O’Neill (Service no. 33934) served with the 10th (Service) Battalion, The Lancashire Fusiliers, 52nd Brigade, 17th (Northern) Division.

James was born in Coatbridge, Scotland, the son of Hugh and Margaret O’Neill who later moved to 30 Lynthorpe Avenue, Cadishead. He attended St Teresa’s RC Church and played football for the church team. Before the war he was employed at the Steelworks.

James enlisted at Manchester in early 1916 and, after training, he was posted to the 10th Battalion, which was already serving in France. Between 30th October and 2nd November 1916 his battalion was at ‘H’ camp at Carnoy, Somme. On 2nd November 1916, whilst the battalion moved into trenches in the frontline at Guedecourt, James was fatally wounded and died the same day, aged 20. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France. Medal Entitlement: Pair.

The entry for James O'Neill and James Weir Elder (above) are extracted from a book that I'm co-writing with Neil Drum (A District At War - Irlam and Cadishead's Part in the Great War). We have a photo of James O'Neill, please pm me if you would like a copy. Both men are listed on the Irlam and Cadishead War Memorial.

Cheers

Pete

• 6 years later...
On 10/11/2009 at 19:00, joseph said:

Hi,

Anything on this chap;

Pte John Tonner S/2158 7th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders DOW 28/10/1915

Son of Mr. and Mrs. James Tonner, of 50, Howieshill Rd., Cambuslang, Glasgow.

His dad James Tonner was a prominent citizen in Lanarkshire.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles

The John you refer to was my Great Uncle.

My ancestors all lived at Howieshill Rd from the early 20th century up until 1979 when my Mother moved away following my father's death. I have heard talk of John Tonner being mentioned over the years as well as my Great Grandfather who was awarded the MBE.

I would love to find out how you knew of my family and and any other information you may have. I have attached a photo of James Tonner the 1st and 3rd (My Father) taken circa 1935.

I shall ask my Dad's brother for more info on John Tonner.

Regards

Jim Tonner (4th)

Ancestors.JPG

• 5 years later...

Hello,

my Grandmother Annie Fraser ( maiden name Annie Thompson Brown , widowed as Gilchrist , known as Cissie ) married Sapper Robert Gilchrist who was killed as mentioned in this thread.

Annie went onto marry my Grandfather Donald Fraser and had two sons Uncle Alastair and Donald my father and lived in Inverness.

Hello

When weejoe provided me with the information on the five Carluke Gilchrists I was interested in, I couldn't make a family connection to them (and still can't). 

I see Joe last visited in 2010, so he may not be around to see this.  However, through Joe's generosity is sharing the information and photos with me, I was able to share Robert Gilchrist's information with Lovat, even though this thread is 13 years old.

Best wishes

Brian

Edited by Rockford
Spelling

Hi Rockford,

thanks for this and the photos of Robert and James Gilchrist - amazing !

My late father always bought a Poppy and put Bob's name on it. He believed Bob was Canadian but through kindly folks like you and Tom we now know Bob returned from working as a joiner in Canada to enlist in the Royal Engineers.

Again many thanks, a 100 year old family story brought to life.