Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Replace non PC headstone

MACRAE

A couple of comments .....

Just because he has a CWGC grave does not imply that he was killed as a result of enemy action ....... only that he died whilst in service between certain defined dates, he could have died of a training accident for example and he would have still been buried in a cwgc grave

Secondly the Commission's stated principles (on their website) are quite clear ...

Each of the dead should be commemorated by name on the headstone or memorial

Headstones and memorials should be permanent

Headstones should be uniform

There should be no distinction made on account of military or civil rank, race or creed

Temporary Viking (sigh)

If he died in a training accident, then it would be known who he was.

I do believe the CWGC distinguish between creed, such as Jewish and Moslem headstones.

They've failed as well with Names then, haven't they with all those "Known Unto God"s.....

Interesting, the way we interpret things differently.

I read the CWGC's principle, "There should be no distinction made on account of military or civil rank, race or creed" and immediately thought it referred to ensuring the actual headstones are not permitted stand out among all the others on account of these things rather than what was actually inscribed on them.

i.e. an officer's headstone should not be twice the size of an enlisted man's.

I mean, on all those identified, rank is almost always included and as we have seen above, race was also occasionally added.

Cheers,

Tim L.

I mean, on all those identified, rank is almost always included

... and sometimes on the headstones of those who are not. I think there is a 'Unknown Corporal of the Black Watch' or similar at Tyne Cot and I have seen plenty of other examples.

Ian

Why oh why do people strive to make historical acts fit with modern understanding. History & historical monuments or words are exactly that; historical. They should be left as a window into the past and the accepted social standards of the time.

Very well said Ice tiger.

• 2 years later...

23 posts without a shred of evidence as to what is actually happening or why, other than hearsay. Let's have some evidence.

I came across this old thread while searching the forum for something else. I wonder what happened - always assuming anything was happening.