Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters Territorial Bn

Didn't have much luck with my first post regarding my Great Great Uncles unrecorded service in the Sherwood Foresters.

I was hoping someone out there might know if any of the territorial battalions of this unit remained in the UK during the Great war, and if anyone who was with a TA battalion could 'transfer' to a regular or service Battalion for service overseas. I've been led to believe any service in another regiment overseas is usually recorded in regimental histories or on medal rolls.

Chris,

Sorry, missed your first enquiry. I've checked 'Soldiers Died' and there's no mention of the Foresters in that.

Regarding home service Forester battalions, you've got a choice from 3/5th, 3/6th, 3/7th and 3/8th. Apart from the third line battalions, the 2nd line battalions were at home until 1916 when they were sent to help quell the rebellion in Ireland. Upon their return in early 1917 they were sent to France.

Thanks for the update, the first enquiry was posted on 'soldiers on 22nd Apr. I really have come to a dead end in tracing the origins of the photograph. The Lancs Fusiliers are adamant that all his service in France until he was KIA on 3/8/18 was with their 10th Bn. His medal roll reflects this.

The photograph is not dated but was taken in Middlesbrough, is there a likelyhood that he served with one of the home battalions and then transferred to the Lancs Fusiliers for service overseas? If this is the case will his record of service or enlistment be recorded anywhere?

Sorry for so many questions!

I've been digging around but come up with a big, fat zero I'm afraid. I'm not sure what to suggest, unless...

Is it possible that he was a reservist who had formerly served in the Foresters? In other words, might the photo pre-date the war?

Could he have been a Forester but transferred to the Lancs just before or immediately after arrival in France? I've come across examples of brief, initial, non-combat service in one regiment being recorded in local documents and service records without this fact necessarily showing up in the MIC's.

Just clutching at straws really. Sorry.

Thanks for the help....I think your latter suggestion is most likely, he was 19 when he was killed so he wouldn't have served in any other regiment as a reservist before hostilities.

The 17th Division had a battalion of Lancs Fusiliers and Foresters serving in it, so he probably transferred or was moved prior to service in France.

Thanks again