Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Hector King Morrison, DSO

dutchbarge

Hello,

I am looking for information regarding Capt. Hector King Morrison, MC. His MIC has him as a CEF RE L/Cpl, then RE 2nd Lt, then RE Capt, ariving France 25 Oct 1915. I have been unable to locate him on the online Gazette, but while googling his name came across him on blacksheep with the information that he was in the RFC and won his MC in 1918, presumeably while in the RFC.

Can anyone help me with information about his service with the RFC and details about his MC?

Thanks anc cheers, Bill

CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS.

The ..undermentioned to be temporary

Second Lieutenants: —

Hector King Morrison. Dated 23rd September,

Dated 10th October, 1915.

Bill

MORRISON, Hector, King T/Lt A/Captain MC, Royal Engineers LG 26.9.1917 page 9978. MC for Distinguished Service.

Philip.

Bill

MORRISON, Hector, King T/Lt A/Captain MC, Royal Engineers LG 26.9.1917 page 9978. MC for Distinguished Service.

Philip.

Thank you, this is just what I'm looking for!

Cheers, Bill

CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS.

The ..undermentioned to be temporary

Second Lieutenants: —

Hector King Morrison. Dated 23rd September,

Dated 10th October, 1915.

Thank you for your kind help!

Cheers, Bill

His CEF records will be in Canada. There are several possible matches for his British army service records unher Morrison H and also this possibility: WO 339/39513 MORRISON H K, 2/Lieut . If they have been released his RAF record should be in AIR 76/359. You can order an estimate with the UKNA shop online service, click on 'request this':

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

He's not in O'Moore Creagh/Humphris' book on the DSO, so I suspect he didn't get one of those.

He's not in O'Moore Creagh/Humphris' book on the DSO, so I suspect he didn't get one of those.

Thank you, the information is pouring in on Morrison. As ever, the Forum is amazing.

Cheers, Bill

Here is a foto of Morrison's service dress tunic. Not sure if it wishfull thinking but there appears to have been something stitched above the left hand breast pocket position of a ribbon bar (possible wing or wings). Nothing on the tunic to indicate he was Canadian, although the breeches which came with the tunic bore a Toronto maker's label.

Cheers, Bill

Doc1.doc

Nice tunic. As he was serving in the British Army, I doubt that he would have anything to show that he was Canadian.

Nice tunic. As he was serving in the British Army, I doubt that he would have anything to show that he was Canadian.

That was my thought but I am happy to have it confirmed by yourself. His MIC shows him as a L/Cpl sapper in the CEF, then he is shown as a 2nd LT in the RE, lastly Capt. RE.

I'm assuming he left the CEF to join the RE? Was this fairly common?

I've attached his MIC. I am always slow at figuring these out. In the pocket of Morrison's tunic was a ribbon for the MM and it seems that at the bottom left corner of the MIC is the notation 'no record of MM'?

No mention of him being seconded to the RFC, but his name pops up on the blacksheep website. Haven't gotten very far in sussing this aspect out.

Cheers, Bill

post-21989-1255465480.jpg

Can anyone help me with <snip> details about his MC?

Bill

I've posted the details on your thread in 'Soldiers'.

Regards

Steve

I'm assuming he left the CEF to join the RE? Was this fairly common?

Yes, I think it goes along with the transfer to the British Army, there was more demaned in certain units. Canadians were British subjects and are recorded on forms as: Nationality = British.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Bill

I've posted the details on your thread in 'Soldiers'.

Regards

Steve

Yes Steve, I've gotten the Gazette entry thanks to your link. Thank you very much. It would have taken my 11 year old laptop and I ages to have found it, if ever!

Cheers, Bill

Yes, I think it goes along with the transfer to the British Army, there was more demaned in certain units. Canadians were British subjects and are recorded on forms as: Nationality = British.

Thank you for your posting. Thanks to Mike (Skipman) I now have in hand his Canadian Army attestation. His trade/career is listed as civil engineer, so the RE were probably very happy to have him.

Cheers, Bill

Correct! I mistakenly put down DSO when I meant to put MC. Sorry about the mistake.

Cheers, Bill