Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regiment

Christopher M

Thanks John,

I've always been fascinated by maps in general, and the problem with accounts of battles is that they can easily become just a list of names without a good map to go by.

Unfortunately, original trench maps are well out of my league. So far I've made do with Peter Chasseaud's compilation "Topography of Armageddon", which is entirely in monochrome. It's also very unwieldy and too awkward to photocopy any pages for annotations. I see, though, that it's now possible to get a CD-ROM from Naval & Military Press. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Incidentally, the copies shown in Chasseaud's book covering the St. Julien area show faint pencil annotations of the route taken by the 11th Suffolk (I think) from Irish Farm to the village. The 6th Cheshire must have been just to the right of their line of advance.

Regards,

Christopher

Hi Christopher

sorry to be a pain have you had a chance to look up below? I am preparing an article for Jacks local newspaper.

Thanks for your kind offer.

Any mention at all of 72101 Sgt Jack Stewart Read 9th Battalion Died 29/04/18?

Jack was a transfer from the Devons and I am led to believe that a letter from the Padre to the family said he was killed in his sleep by a long range shell falling behind the lines. I am wondering if the Padre was applying a bit of artistic license!

Thanks in advance.

Paul

No mention of your man in Crookenden. No surprise there - individual ORs are rarely mentioned in official histories.

On 29/4, the 9th had been withdrawn into reserve. The front line was under heavy artillery attack, so the info you have seems entirely consistent with the known facts.

Thanks John

I suppose if you've got to go, a long range shell straight on your hut while your asleep is preferable to some of the alternatives!

Many thanks and best regards.

Paul

What you need to do now is check out the War Diary. Apart from the one at the NA at Kew, the Military Museum at Chester should have a copy (I think they'll charge you around a tenner for the look-up).

John

John

I have just printed off the search form from the regimental museum in Chester so many thanks for the tip.

I am writing a piece for Jacks local paper (Bridprt News) about how hs pair and plaque turned up in West Virginia USA and are now back in the UK.

The information I have uncovered states that Jack left camp in England 13th April arrived in France as 70196 Devon Regiment transferred to the 9th Cheshires as Sgt 72101. Went into action 28/4? Killed early hours of the 29th. If we allow two days for the travel Devon to France that makes exactly 14 days at the front. :(

Paul

Suggest you ask them for the war diary look-up for, say, 3 or 4 days before - to "set the scene" for you. Please let me know the outcome.

Seems like Jack didnt have much of a war, poor b****r.

John

• 2 months later...

Hello Christopher

I would very much appreciate if you could have a look in Crookendens' "The History of the Cheshire Regiment in the Great War" to see what the 2nd Cheshires were doing on the 8th May 1915?

Many thanks

Andy

Andy

There's 4 pages in Crookenden. I've got some stuff to do now, but will digi-photo for you and email later on. I've got your email address from the other week

John

• 1 month later...
Guest Sapper Calling

Christopher M

Have just read your post on the Cheshire Regt. I am looking for information on a relative, 13133 Pte Nigel Whitehead, 10th Bn. K.I.A. 21 May 1916, in the area of Vimy Ridge. Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

I'm most sorry, but Crookenden says nothing about any action between Dec 1915 and 1st July 1916.

Vimy Ridge is between Arras and Lens, so was in a different sector from the 10th's position at the start of the Somme offensive.

I'm afraid you'll have to look in sources more specific either to the 10th Battalion, such as the War Diary, or to actions in the Vimy Ridge area at that time.

I'm sorry I can't be of any help.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

Christopher,

A bit of a long shot but I wonder if you'd be so good as to see if you have a Colonel James Reid in yourCheshire Rgt book. Although he had this rank in 1916 I doubt he ever went overseas, he would have been born in the 1850s. I think probably volunteers or militia rather than regular. He was a Birkenhead merchant.

Julian

Julian,

I'm afraid there is no mention of Colonel Reid in any of my books. Note that Crookenden names the senior officers of all the battalions, including home service and garrison, at least when they were first raised. I wonder if he had retired or transferred to another service.

There is another book by Arthur Crookenden, covering the history of the Cheshire Regiment before the First World War. This may be more the period when Colonel Reid played an active role in the Regiment. I'm afraid I don't have a copy but it is entitled:

Twenty-Second Footsteps 1849-1914. An Account of Life in The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment in Those Years.

Perhaps you could see if your library can find a copy?

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Julian,

This book may be more relevant. Again, I don't have a copy and haven't seen it. Details are from a dealer who has a copy for sale on ABE Books:

History of the Volunteer Movement in Cheshire 1914-1920

Disbrowe, E.J. W. (Late Captain & Adjutant, Cheshire Volunteer Regiment):

Stockport. Swain & Co. 1st Edition 1920.

Important and very detailed history of the Volunteer Force in Cheshire during World War One. 108pp., numerous photographs, many of named Officers, folding map showing Battalion areas, appendices (with list of Volunteer Corps with name of Secretary and date of formation, nominal roll of Officers, etc. ).

I hope one of these may have the information you need.

Christopher

• 4 months later...

If you need me to do any look-ups, please email me, rather than use the Personal Message facility or posting here.

I find that I’m logging on to the Forum much less frequently than previously and this will be the quickest way of you getting in touch with me.

John