The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Anstey Roll of Honour

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

If you don't ask, you don't get, so here we go.

I've been working my way through the Anstey Roll of Honour for the last 2 or 3 weeks and after searching the 1911 and 1901 census records for christian names I'm now at the stage where I could do with some help in trying to get some possible links to the village. I've been through the service and pension records that come up with Anstey or some of the mis spells on that there site and I'm now down to the MIC's and would like to ask if anyone has any of the following men on a database and if possible a connection to Anstey or Leicestershire. I will be going to the county records office in the near future and I'm hoping that the Absent Voters list will also help me in my quest. The first gentleman in question is,

Thomas Bonser, born 1890.

The two options found are,

Pte, 29563 Highland Light Infantry, Victory and British War Medals.

Pte, 113004 RAMC, Victory and British War Medals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. Llew.

George H. Bosworth, born 1897.

Pte, 21012 West Riding Regiment & 14519 Labour Corps, Victory and British War Medals.

Pte, R38407 KRRC, Victory and British War Medals.

Llew.

Both could be possible Ralph. There was a Griffin family in Anstey, I've managed to get hold of Harry Griiffins records. I'll check the census records for connections.

Thanks again.

Llew.

Hi Llew

George HARRY Bosworth, b. 3rd qtr 1896, 7a, 159. Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire, 1901 census shown under ANSLEY.

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry. This is definitely the man on the Roll, I've just got to find a military connection to him.

Regards. Llew.

Hi Llew

A bit more family stuff .... A Jean Bosworth was born 2nd qtr 1925, Birmingham N, Warwickshire. 6d, 574. Mother's maiden name Griffin. May help in tracing the father from the birth cert.

Regards Barry

Thanks again Barry.

I've been through the Anstey cemetery today and have got some more names.

Regards. Llew.

Any information available on this man would be appreciated.

Joseph Edward Challoner born 1883.

Possible options are,

Sapper 134592 RE.

Pte. 12408 Kings Own Scottish Borderers.

Regards. Llew.

Hi Llew

12408 Joseph Challoner, 6th Batt, 'C'Coy, KOSB was born 1896,lived at 12 Risdale St., Pendleton, Manchester with his mum Mary Ellen Challoner. Attested 12.8.14. Was injured and a PoW. Demobbed 1920, Class Z. Service records on Ancestry. NO MIDDLE NAME

Regards Barry

Hi Llew

Searching on Ancestry it appears Joseph Edward Challoner was born 1882/3 Chelsea, London. Parents Thomas and Sarah Ann (Laken) m 1883 . Joseph Edward had a half brother Frank William Challoner Pte. 9/14528 Leicestershire regt. Joseph Edward lived at Belvoir Rd, Coalville, Leicester when he was 37 yrs old. Frank William died 1919, he had not lived with his father for 22 yrs when he joined up. Service records for Frank lists brothers/half brothers and sisters. Mother Sarah was living Cropstone Rd, Anstey.(CWGC and Ancestry Service) There is a public tree on Ancestry for Joseph Edward Challoner, relations in USA.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards Barry

Hi again

Been looking at Form W.5080 on Frank William's records (he died 3.3.1919 from pneumonia). The details given by his mother also show his brother James Archibald was 30 yrs old (b.1889). Previous form indicates HE was serving in the Leicester Regt.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for all the help. Frank William is on the Anstey memorial, so I'll have another dig around and see what I can find.

Regards. Llew.

• 1 year later...

Hi Llew

A bit more family stuff .... A Jean Bosworth was born 2nd qtr 1925, Birmingham N, Warwickshire. 6d, 574. Mother's maiden name Griffin. May help in tracing the father from the birth cert.

Regards Barry

I realise it's a couple of years since any additions here but have only just come across the thread. I, too, have a Griffin family who were based in Anstey certainly with connections there into the late 1910s. There is still something of a mystery concerning the mother in this story but to date we have found the following:

Fred (father) driver RASC

Stanley (son) Leicestershire Regiment - died Mesopotamia 1916

Archie (son) Leicestershire then Hampshire Regiment ? served in Aden

If this helps, I'd be happy to share material we have discvovered and hope to fill in some of the other gaps in our general family history knowledge

Cheers Alan

On a slight tangent, LCpl John Thomas Bottrill RMLI is recorded as being a bellringer at Anstey, see http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/details.php?warID=1&casID=378917 - you may have come across this additional detail already

Alan,

Thanks for getting in touch, I've not done a great deal with the Roll of Honour to tell you the truth, and the only Griffin that I do have on any list is Harry 33472 Royal Defence Corps, born 1874?, enlisted 11.08.1916 and class Z 28.03.1919. Harry is also on the Anstey 1918 Absent Voters List as being 266798 18th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment to which he was transferred on 31st March 1918 and was then transferred back to the RDC.

14612 Pte Stanley Griffin 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment enlisted 08.09.1914 in Leicester, date of entry 07.06.1916 Mesopotamia, born Leicester and resident of Great Wigston. I do have the 2nd Battalion diary complete, so if you would like the dates that Stanley was in Mesopotamia, then please just ask and i'll send them over.

Regards. Llew.

David,

I didn't know that John was a bellringer, so thanks for that.

LANCE CORPORAL JOHN THOMAS BOTTRILL PLY/295(S) PLYMOUTH DIVISION ROYAL MARINE LIGHT INFANTRY

ESTIMATED BIRTH YEAR 1891

DATE OF DEATH 17.07.1917

ANSTEY CEMETERY

SON OF JOHN AND SARAH OF 125, CHURCH LANE ANSTEY

John had served at Gallipoli with the RND, but was eventually invalided home with Nephritis. In December 1915 he was withdrawn from the RND and transferred to HQ Plymouth Division RMLI, where he remained until his death.

JTBottrill.jpg

Regards. Llew.

Llew, I've also been going through the wartime issues of The Ringing World, transcribing the weekly rolls of honour of ringers who had joined the forces, wounds and so on, and any other mention of serving ringers. Checking these I find that I have a note that the issue of 13 November 1914, p267 records a meeting of the Manchester branch of the Lancashire Association of Change Ringers where a letter from J T Bottrill was read out (I see from his service record that he enlisted in Manchester, so he obviously continued ringing after he moved there). I haven't noted much of the content of the lletter, if it was mentioned, though I have recorded that he was then at Stonehouse Barracks, Plymouth. The association still exists, http://www.lacr.org.uk so there's a chance the original letter may survive in their records

I also have a note that the 19 May 1916 issue, p 223 records that five Anstey ringers have joined up, F Moore, 8th Leicesters; F Palmer, 2/4th Leicesters; A Mason, 3rd Leicesters; L Mason, ASC MT; and J Bottrill, ASC MT. These men presumably survived, as J T Bottrill seems to be the only Anstey ringer recorded as a casualty, though it's possible they could have been recorded on the main roll as belonging to another tower

I've only reached June 1916 in this exercise so far, but I see that the obituaries index maintained by the Library of the Cemtral Council for Church Bell Ringers http://www.cccbr.org.uk/library/obits shows an obituary for L/Cpl J Thomas Bottrill, Anstey, was published in the Ringing World in 1917 on pages 245 and 253. One of these is probably just a brief note of his death, but the second may be more substantial, some others I've looked at do include photos of the man concerned. I'll try to have a look over the weekend

David,

Many thanks for the additional information on John and the other Anstey men. I'll send you a pm with my e mail address and would appreciate anything of interest that comes to light in the future.

Regards. Llew.