Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off for a long weekend -

squirrel

Thank goodness for that I hear you cry - behave until I log on again on Wednesday or thereabouts. - but that's too much to ask, of course.

Now thats what I call a long weekend. Enjoy it.

Very enjoyable long weekend in Lincoln.

Saw the memorial to Field Marshal Robertson in the Cathedral, the plaque to T E Lawrence on Steep Hill, Lincoln's Museum in the Lincoln Life Museum as well as a WW1 tank and a Gun Tractor. The hotel where we stayed was where Tritton and Stern met and swapped ideas on the Tank in the early stages of ideas and development..................apart from that did the usual touristy things..........................

We liked Lincoln cathedral as it had a prominent sign outside saying that dogs were welcome. On talking to one of the vergers, she said that dogs were less of a problem than children. I wish more places would realise that!

Nigel

Agree with you - heard some kids shouting while we were there but no dogs barking.

Did you spot Lincoln Drill Hall? It's a wonderful building recycled as an arts centre.

(We have loads more material to upload on this drill hall.)

Did a slow drive by.................Memsahib was getting a little bored with the military connections.....................

Hello Squirrel

Did you find the Lincoln Imp in the cathedral? And Magna Carta?

Did you find the graves of executed criminals in the Castle, and see the old prison chapel?

I used to lve in Lincoln in the mid-1970s. I recall that the Drill Hall was used for vote-counting at elections: I was one of the counters at the by-election when Dick Taverne stood as an Independent and got in, having resigned the seat as a Labour MP. A fascinat9ing evening!

Ron

Found the Imp and my neck is still stiff -saw Magna Carta and the Prison Chapel, also the graves. Worth another visit to Lincoln at some future date.