Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

button help

Guest suey

Hi

I wonder if some kind sole can help me out? I've recently found a silver button approx 30mm dia. showing a fox? facing left over a crown, the reverse has the legend 47 WARWICKS REGENT, the "N" in regent is reversed and I was wondering if this is an abbreviation of regiment.

Thanks in anticipation

Suey

Guest Pete Wood

Welcome to the forum, Suey

I hope I'm wrong (and I am, very often), but this doesn't sound like a military button. The usual abbreviation of Regiment is Regt.

I think you need to get hold of a Kelly's Directory and look at who was at the following address:

47 Regent (Street)

47 Regent (Grove)

Both roads are in Leamington Spa, in the county of Warwicks (abbreviation for Warwickshire).

In 1912, in Regent Grove there was a watchmaker and silversmith called Silvester Hunt.....

Dear Suey

Sounds a bit like it may be a livery button ie one worn by a uniformed servant. The fact that the crown is under the fox suggests that it is an heraldic crest. If you look up a good book on heraldry you may see it listed or be able to identify the rank of the wearer of the crown. There are different ones for barons earls dukes marquises etc

Greg

Suey,

Greg is on the right track and I think that it might be a foxhunting button.

Below is an example which you might compare with yours. It is taken from Baily's Hunting Directory of 1921.

I cannot find the one that you describe in the foxhunting section.

regards

Stuart

post-23-1083090770.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Pete Wood

By a bizarre fluke, I think I may now be able to help you more with this button.

I think the address is 47 Warwick Street, off Regent Street, London W.

This was the shop address for Wright and Son who produced medals and medallions etc.

If I am right, your "reversed N" is probably a W that has not been struck properly (the W meaning West London, or possibly Wright).

Wright & Son had its factory in Edgware.